We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lauterbrunnen first week of November?

malaysia
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lauterbrunnen first week of November?

Hello!

I plan a short trip to Lauterbrunnen in the first week of November (4 days to be exact), and wonder how is this place during this time...I will travel by train from Geneva.

My main objective is for the view of the Alps, will I able to get a beautiful scenery at this time? Are the shops and restaurants still operate? My activity there will be just sightseeing around, perhaps short distance hiking if possible. I know that November is not the best time to visit but unfortunately my flight to Geneva is already confirmed. I have secured a hotel room in Lauterbrunnen too, but with free of charge cancellation policy. Therefore I like to know in advance whether this place is worth visiting (...I mean in this particular month), or if I better change to someplace else.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
England, United...
Level Contributor
3,097 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lauterbrunnen first week of November?

If you want to choose the worst time to visit Lauterbrunnen then first week of November probably fits the bill.

That's not the question though - the question is whether it's worthwhile. Days are short, it gets dark before 5pm, there's very little to do in Lauterbrunnen at the best of times in the evening, it's a small village at the bottom of a very deep valley. To get the views you need to travel upwards, and you can be absolutely sure that this is possible every day subject to weather, so you are well placed for this.

Why not have a chat with the hotel, ask them what is likely to be open in the evenings, what they suggest for that time of year?

Mentioned in this post
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lauterbrunnen first week of November?

We stayed there mid October, and although we loved it, there wasn't much open. The Oberland closed its doors while we were there, so the only choice for meals was the Silberhorn or the Steinbock. By November this could be even worse.

Murren and Wengen were pretty much the same, but there was far greater choice in Grindelwald. So by all means go, but you may have to head to Grindelwald or even Interlaken to get any choice for meals.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Oberland
Hotel Oberland
432 Reviews
Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
Hotel Silberhorn
Hotel Silberhorn
616 Reviews
Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
Murren
Murren
Wengen
Wengen
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
malaysia
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lauterbrunnen first week of November?

Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

Now I am considering also Grinderwald, Interlaken or perhaps further to Lucern. Maybe from there a daytrip to mountainous areas nearby.

Mentioned in this post
Interlaken
Interlaken
Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lauterbrunnen first week of November?

You've picked Lauterbrunnen for a reason, and it's not a bad choice. Grindelwald too would be good, but I believe there's a major building project going on at the moment that may impact on your visit. Don't stay in Interlaken: it's just a major transit hub. And Lucerne is too far away to commute to the Bernese Oberland, although it does have its own scenic charms.

The thing to remember here is that Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald are just 16 or so minutes away from each other by train. Wengen and Murren are equally close. So although you may be pressed for places to eat in Lauterbrunnen, it's only a short trip by train to somewhere else (including Interlaken) and an equally short trip back.

Mentioned in this post
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Interlaken
Interlaken
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Bernese Oberland
Bernese Oberland
Canton of Bern, Switzerland
Wengen
Wengen
Murren
Murren
5. Re: Lauterbrunnen first week of November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 17, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Lauterbrunnen