We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne

Hi there

Would it be okay to use lucerne as a base, and travel from lucerne to lauterbrunnen for a day trip, so that we can see the beautiful city.

Thanks

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne

I think it would be a good idea to look at a map and sbb.ch. You are talking about staying in Luzern and making day trips to Lauterbrunnen (not a city) and other day trips for skiing in the same area. You will spend your whole vacation on trains!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,277 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne

Not only is Lauterbrunnen not a city but it is a tiny village - so tiny that if you drive through and shut your eyes for a minute you will miss it!! I would certainly not make such a long journey to see Lauterbrunnen. I would do it - once - to visit Wengen or Mürren. But the train ride there and back, without counting time for changes and even if you go the "fast" way via Bern is well over 5 hours. Which is too much time to spend on trains in a day.

Stick to the places that are easily accessible from Luzern -- Mts Rigi, Pilatus which are both close by and Mt Titlis at Engelberg. And do not miss Bern!!

Edited: 3:36 am, November 14, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne

Thanks for your opinions everyone. I've done sooooo much research and looked at so many maps but I'm getting so confused! Where would you recommend we base ourselves if we wanted to visit lauterbrunnnen? And would you recommend lauterbrunnen or lucerne?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,277 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne

OK - Please try to understand first the enormous difference between these two places:

Luzern is a city. It has a long and glorious history. It has a lovely "old town" with medieval painted buildings. It is on a lake - Lake of Luzern in English though it is not called that in either German or French! In fact it is right where the river Reuss leaves the lake so the river flows through the town and it is very pretty too. It has several museums one of which is one of the best of its kind in the world - The Transport Museum. It is a great place for day trips to small villages on the lake, to nearby mountain tops, to Bern, and to the Glasi - the handblown glass factory at Hergiswil to mention only a few. It has a very important concert hall and is the site of one of Switzerland's largest music festivals.

Lauterbrunnen is a tiny village. And not a very picturesque one in terms of its buildings. It has five hotels (its economy is centered on tourists visiting the Jungfrau region) and one bar. All more or less on the same main street that runs through the village. And that is Lauterbrunnen. you do not go to Lauterbrunnen to see anything IN Lauterbrunnen but rather to use it to see the Jungfrau region around it. From there you can go to the Schilthorn, th Jungfraujoch and the mountain resorts of Wengen, Mürren and Grindelwald. You can also visit Interlaken (not recommended though) and take lake cruises on lakes Brienz and Thun which are nearby (30 mins by train...) As you come from Oz you might be interested to know that the one bar I mention is run by - an Australian.

The Lauterbrunnen valley with its high cliffs and waterfalls is a beautiful place. And if you like walking then staying in Lauterbrunnen gives you access to all this. BUT there is not really anything "in" Lauterbrunnen. And you cannot compare it to Luzern.

Now maybe you understand? I hope so...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne

Ok I think I will just stay in lucerne,

Thanks for your advice. Much clearer now

6. Re: Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Lauterbrunnen