We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to reach Mt. Schilthorn from lauterbrunnen

Hyderabad, Andhra...
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Topic
How to reach Mt. Schilthorn from lauterbrunnen

Hi,

We will be travelling to Switzerland in June and will be staying in Lauterbrunnen. We want to visit Mt. Schilthorn from here. Can someone please point me on how to reach Mt. Schilthorn from Lauterbrunnen. There seems a way via cable car to Grutschalp - train to Murren and another cable car to top. Another route is some bus to Stechelberg, and then cable car to Murren and then top.

- Which of these 2 ways is more suggested? Is there some other way also?

- What is the exact cost for each. I will be having a swiss pass.

- Can someone lease share me exact details of these routes, like where is the cable car station? What bus route no. to take, is it covered in swiss pass etc.

Thanks a lot for all the help!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to reach Mt. Schilthorn from lauterbrunnen

You have the routes correct. The cablecar station to Grutchalp is right across the street from the train station. You can catch the valley post bus there to for the ride down the valley to the Stechelberg lift station of the Schilthornbahn cableway. The cablecar goes from Stechelberg to Gimmelwald up to Murren then on up to the Schilthorn.

I recommend taking the grutchalp cablecar up to the small railroad into Murren the going up to the Schilthorn and back and taking the other route through Gimmelwald and Stechelberg on the way down.

I think the journey up as far as Murren by either route is covered at 100% on the Swiss Pass. From Murren on you get a discount.

http://www.schilthorn.ch/index.php

This site should give you all the rates.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to reach Mt. Schilthorn from lauterbrunnen

Seconded. I think that's the best way round also.

The views from Grutschalp and on the train along to Murren are amazing. When you go up the cable car to Schilthorn you have to change at Birg. I suggest you get out here and go to the balcony of the cafe where there are yet more marvelous views.

When you get to the bottom of the cable car at Stechelberg the bus stop is just there and there will be a timetable. You can stop off at Trummelbach falls on the way back to Lauterbrunnen. The bus is covered by Swiss Pass.

Hyderabad, Andhra...
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to reach Mt. Schilthorn from lauterbrunnen

Great. I plan to take these routes then. Lauterbrunnen to Murren via Grutschalp and upto Schilthorn and back via Stechelberg.

- In Grutschalp, how far is the train station from the point cable car drops. Are there directions\signs on the road I can follow?

- The sbb site shows a train from Lauterbrunnen to Murren (R 761), is there a train also, or is it the cable car to Grutschalp and then train only?

- In Murren again are there directions\ signs on road to reach the cable car station from the train station?

- Do I have to change the cable car and take another one at Birg?

- On way down, does the same cable car goes all the way to Stechelberg or I have to change at Murren\Gimmelwald. I saw the same LB25\27 in sbb site going all the way to Schilithorn from Stechelberg, so wanted to confirm.

- On way back to lauterbrunnen from Stechelberg, I want to stop at Trummelbach falls. How far is it from Stechelberg and is it comfortable to walk? And should I be taking a bus then back to Lauterbrunnen?

Thanks a lot for the help!!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to reach Mt. Schilthorn from lauterbrunnen

At Grutchalp the cablecar and the train station are the same building. You dont even have to go outside.

The only train to Murren is the one that takes you from the Grutchalp station into Murren.

Once in Murren there are lots of signs pointing the way to the Schilthorn cablecar station. Follow the signs to Schilthornbahn. If you lose you way ask anybody there and they can help you.

On the way up to the Schilthorn you do have to change cars at Birg but it's easy. It's a little station perched on top of a mountain. You just get off one car and into another.

On your way down you will do the reverse of the way up. From Schilthorn you change at Birg, Murren, Gimmelwald, and you arrive at Stechelberg on the valley floor. All the changes are easy.

Once at the Stechelberg station you can walk (about 30 min) to Trummelbach Falls or take the bus. The bus picks you up at the cablecar station. The first stop on the northbound run is Trummelbach. Once done there you have the choice of walking or taking the bus back to Lauterbrunnen.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to reach Mt. Schilthorn from lauterbrunnen

- In Grutschalp, how far is the train station from the point cable car drops.

The gondola and train are in the same station. You'll get off the gondola and walk about 15 feet.

- The sbb site shows a train from Lauterbrunnen to Murren (R 761), is there a train also, or is it the cable car to Grutschalp and then train only?

There is no direct train from Lauterbrunnen to Mürren.

- In Murren again are there directions\ signs on road to reach the cable car station from the train station?

When you exit the doors from the front of the train station turn left and stay on the same little street all the way to then end of the village which is where the Schilthornbahn is located. You can't miss it.

- Do I have to change the cable car and take another one at Birg?

Yes, tjhere's a connection at the gondola station. You'll walk about 15 feet.

- On way down, does the same cable car goes all the way to Stechelberg or I have to change at Murren\Gimmelwald. I saw the same LB25\27 in sbb site going all the way to Schilithorn from Stechelberg, so wanted to confirm.

Change at Mürren, change at Gimmelwald. These are tiny tiny stations. You won't have any problem at all.

- On way back to lauterbrunnen from Stechelberg, I want to stop at Trummelbach falls. How far is it from Stechelberg and is it comfortable to walk? And should I be taking a bus then back to Lauterbrunnen?

It's a FABULOUS walk from Stechelberg to Trummelbach Falls. Very relaxing and enjoyable to walk along the almost-deserted stretch of road. At Trummelbach Falls there is a stop for the Post Bus which will take you back to Lauterbrunnen if you want. However, I very much enjoy that walk also.

This whole area is tiny and stations are just small buildings where connections are very obvious. There will be plenty of SBB employees around who will guide you in case you need help. They are very friendly.

Hyderabad, Andhra...
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to reach Mt. Schilthorn from lauterbrunnen

Thank you mountaintopper and tmynatt for all the details. Thats a big big help in planning.

Also, is the entry for the Trummelbach falls free with swiss pass. I saw some very old post which suggests otherwise so wanted to check.

I will be having a swiss pass. So I can buy the ticket for the trip from Lauterbrunnen itself or can I buy from Murren also?

Hyderabad, Andhra...
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to reach Mt. Schilthorn from lauterbrunnen

In the timetable on the Schilithorn website, they seem to suggest that from Lauterbrunnen to Schilithorn via Grutschalp takes long (1hr 30mins) because of the 50 mins gap at Murren.

- Does it actually take long enough to reach Murren Schilithornbahnof from Murren BLM to not catch the just next cable car but the one after that?

- Is it fine to take the Stechelberg route on the way up and Grutschalp route on the way down? Do I need to buy a different ticket for this than the one for opposite route order?

- In the entire trip of Lauterbrunnen to Schilithorn and back, is there any specific sides on the train\ cable car I should be sitting at, to enjoy the view more?

Thanks!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to reach Mt. Schilthorn from lauterbrunnen

The BLM station is on the north end of Murren. You have to walk through the village to the south end to get to the Schilthornbahn station. It probably takes about 30 min from one to the other. The Schilthornbahn only runs twice an hour. The walk is an easy one and the village and the scenery is great all along the way.

I find its best to go up from the Grutchalp side and down through Stechelberg. That way you are facing the best scenery all the way instead of facing away from it.

It's easy to figure out which side of the train to sit on once you get there.

Hyderabad, Andhra...
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to reach Mt. Schilthorn from lauterbrunnen

Thanks for the clarification. Also if you could help me with 2 other queries

Is the entry for the Trummelbach falls free with swiss pass. I saw some very old post which suggests otherwise so wanted to check.

I will be having a swiss pass. So I can buy the ticket for the trip from Lauterbrunnen itself or can I buy from Murren also?

Edited: 4:00 pm, May 19, 2013
W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to reach Mt. Schilthorn from lauterbrunnen

The actual entry fee to the Falls may not be covered but the bus fare to and from is. Just show your Swiss pass.

Get answers to your questions about Lauterbrunnen