We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lauterbrunnen - Good idea or not?

Which Lauterbrunnen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
57 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Lauterbrunnen - Good idea or not?

Hi first time trip to Switzerland family of five from down under. We have four nights in Switzerland as part of a 19 day european vacation & wondered if LB was good place to base ourselves for some out of town beauty & village atmosphere & also a a base to do day trips with our hire car. We are coming end of March 26/30 exact & are a family of five with teen aged kids. I do realise it will be tail end of ski season & am thinking the weather will be reasonable. Is it an overall good central base to explore the region and others. We are not skiers but enjoy hiking. Any advice would be great. Thx in advance.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lauterbrunnen - Good idea or not?

I love Lauterbrunnen but the end of March may not be the best time to visit. As you say it's the end of the ski season and while the villages higher up may still be in the snow the valley may see rain and clouds. There is some hiking available in the valley depending on the weather and the winter walking trails in the higher villages should still be passable although if things have started to thaw you may run into mud.

Having said all that it is a good base for day trips both by rail to the higher villages and to the rest of the area by car.

Check out the Hotel Oberland. Highly recommended and owned by an Aussie too.

http://www.hoteloberland.ch/

Pune, India
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lauterbrunnen - Good idea or not?

Having been to Lauterbrunnen in July I can say 'not bad'. But if given the choice again, i would prefer Wengen or Murren. They are both on the higher reaches with better views and trekking opportunities. The country side at these two places is just beautiful. I loved Murren more than Wengen. From Murren you can get to Schilthorn and from Wengen you can get to Jungfrau. Both equally beautiful. And all three i.e. Wengen, Lauterbrunnen and Murren are close to each other and easily approachable by some means of communication or the other. Lauterbrunnen is in the centre but in a deep valley with good but restricted views. So choice wise, 1st Murren, 2nd Wengen and 3rd Lauterbrunnen. In March too Murren or Wengen would be better for trekking

leicester
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lauterbrunnen - Good idea or not?

It's hard to predict the weather as it changes so quickly day to day but my first thought is Lauterbrunnen is a good place as a central point to everywhere. I know lots of people prefer the mountain villages but I love LB as it has more restaurants, shops and things to see when you are not out hiking. You say you will have a car, which you won't be able to take to either Wengen or Murren as they are car free so you will have to park at the station and go up by train. I'd stay in the valley, it's still breathtakingly beautiful and you will be able to get wherever you want to.

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
719 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lauterbrunnen - Good idea or not?

I would stay in Grindelwald with a car. it gets more sunshine than Lauterbrunnen, and if you don't ski, there is more to do.

You should plan on trying sledding, or tobogganing as the Swiss call it. it is really a blast and you don't need much other than a sled, which you can rent, and a sense of fun.

Grindelwald IMHO has better views than Lauterbrunnen, more shopping, indoor and outdoor skating rinks, indoor pool with water slide, sledding, hiking, cross country skiing, plus a ski school if someone wants to try skis.

it will still likely be quite snowy in March; we were there in late April a few years ago, and there was still a lot of snow.

5. Re: Lauterbrunnen - Good idea or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, December 14, 2013