We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Staying at Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
59 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! Staying at Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

Hi! We will be traveling to Switzerland in 2 weeks time.

I am planning for the stay at Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken. We will be coming from Zurich. But I am a confuse whether i should stay at Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken? If Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken, which area you guys will recommend? Any hotel that could recommend to us?

Thank you!

Good day!

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,778 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! Staying at Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

Interlaken is a largish town and does not have the character of the mountain villages. My order of preference would be Wengen, Grindlewald, Murren and Lauterbrunnen. Wengen and Murren are car free, Grindlewald quite busy with good views and Lauterbrunnen is in the bottom of a valley and doesn't get as much sun as Wengen.

There is a lot written on this forum about people's preferences, everyone has a favourite! Have a read.

Edited: 12:34 pm, August 02, 2012
Canandaigua
Level Contributor
726 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! Staying at Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

I also think you should stay in a mountain village with views.

I like Grindelwald-the busy-ness doesn't bother me, and it is so sunny, and handy to so many activities and restaurants. And if you want to go down to take a lake cruise or spend an afternoon in Interlaken, it is easy.

So for me it is Grindelwald, Wengen(views and sunny, less shopping and a bit harder to get other places, Murren(similar), and Lauterbrunnen-very deep in the valley, so shady.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! Staying at Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

Yes, this question is asked and answered on this forum at least once a week. Suggest you search in Switzerland forum for "Interlaken vs. Lauterbrunnen" and "Wengen vs Murren" and even "Grindelwald vs. Lauterbrunnen" to get started reading the many many threads and opinions.

Bottom line: stay anywhere BUT Interlaken.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
59 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! Staying at Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

Thanks all for the adivce!

Trafalgar
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! Staying at Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

We stayed at Lauterbrunnen at Hotel Silberhorn for 3 nights end June. If you like getting away from the city you will love Lauterbrunnen. It is probably the most picturesque place I have been to. We had a superior upper floor room with a balcony, with a beautiful view over the valley. It is quiet, and perfectly situated to go to Shilthorn and Jungfrau. Trummelbach falls shouldn't be missed either. There are lots walks. We walked down the mountain from Murren. 3/2 days nights was definitely not long enough for this place.

Grindelwald is a much larger village/town. We were very glad we stayed at Lauterbrunnen.

6. Re: HELP! Staying at Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Lauterbrunnen