We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel tips in switzerland

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Topic
travel tips in switzerland

hi all,

we are a young couple travelling to switzerland on 7 july..

Need help on the following things..

1) Is a seat reservation required for the train from zurich airport to lucerne or its included in 27 CHF?

2) Is a seat reservation required for the train from lucerne to interlaken via brunig (golden route) or is it included in 30 CHF?

3) We are staying in lauterbrunnen for 2 days and surely want to do TOE. The suggested route is 'Lbr-Ks-Jo-Gw-ZL-Lbr ? is this the best route to follow? The price of both is different ie. going up and coming down? And can anyone please explain the above route in detail..(i.e how many train changes, any boat trip in this, transition time from 1 stop to another) ? How many hours will this trip long ?

4) Lastly we will be taking train from zurich airport to lucerne, lucerne to interlaken, interlaken to lauterbrunnen, and then jungfrau trip. our trip is for 3 days.. Can any1 suggest which swiss pass should we take?

Any help would be highly appreciated..

thanx in advance !!

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel tips in switzerland

1) No seat reservation required or possible. You just get on and find a seat.

2) Ditto.

3) The round trip fare is 181.80 CHF.

(Lbr) Lauterbrunnen to (Ks) Kleine Scheidegg - change trains

(Jo) Jungfraujoch - return journey

Kleine Scheidegg to (Gw) Grindelwald - change trains

Grindelwald to (Zl) Zweilütschinen - change trains

Zweilütschinen to Lauterbrunnen

Timetable

jungfrau.ch/en/…

4) Where are you going after these 3 days?

You can do your own calculations to compare p2p fares with the cost of passes by using the following sites:-

www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

jungfrau.ch/en/…

swisstravelsystem.com/en/tickets-en/ticket-o…

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travel tips in switzerland

hi swissaholic..

thnk you for such a valuable informattion..

1) We are heading to Milan after 3 days.. i.e Taking train from interlaken to milan..

Any suggestions on that? which train should we board? via spiez? Is seat reservation required on that ?

2) Is a seat reservation required on the trains to jungfrau or its included in 181.80 CHF?

Thnx..

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel tips in switzerland

1) The train to Milan Central goes via Spiez and Brig. You will require a reservation for the Italian section of the journey.

2) It is only possible to make reservations for the journey between Kleine Scheidegg and Jungfraujoch.

shop.jungfrau.ch/en/bergbahn/

The 1 month Half Fare Card at 110 CHF will save you money if you make the Jungfrau trip.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel tips in switzerland

The shortest and quickest way for you, is train to KS, then train to jungfrau and back. Going to Grindelwald on the return is longer and requires a lot of train changes. If you might look at the Centetary pass its good for three days and a trip to the top.

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travel tips in switzerland

thnk u wesheltonj for that..

Thank u big time swissaholic .. its been a great help from u !!

Now i was actually looking for interlaken to milan ticket on sbb..

on the 2nd page there is a column which says

reduction for switzerland which has a few options.. 1 of it is half fare travel card 1/2/3 year.

is this the same half fare card which is half fare 1 month card?

if I select this option the fare is 60 CHF otherwise it is 82 CHF?

if it is for swiss residents only, then the 1 month half fare card does not provide any discount on this rail?

Thnx..

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel tips in switzerland

yes, you are right, half fare is half fare, independent of what kind of card you own!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: travel tips in switzerland

By the way, what nowadays normally is not being considered anymore when travelling "through" the Alps in less than an hour, this used not to be a simple thing until 100 years ago.

Just consider the following:

The Simplon tunnel between Brig and Iselle di Trasquera is almost 20 km (64,600 ft) long, at the deepest part you have 2200 m rock above your head.

It was built between 1898-1905 (first tube) and between 1912-1921 (second tube). 67 workers died during construction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplon_Tunnel

de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php…

Going north from Brig to Spiez, Bern, Basel, Germany, Paris, you find now a new high speed tunnel: the Lötschberg Basis Tunnel (LBT) between Visp and Frutigen, opened December 2007, is 34.57 km (21.48 miles) long. It is called Basis tunnel since there is a older one, the Lötschberg(-Scheitel-)Tunnel between Kandersteg, and Goppenstein on a 500m higher level, 14.6 km long, built between 1906 - 1913.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…B6tschberg_Base_Tunnel

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…B6tschberg-Basistunnel

And finally there is the Gotthard route coming from Zurich going to the southern Switzerland called Ticino, and further to Milan.

The Gotthard(-Scheitel-)Tunnel between Göschenen and Airolo, being 15 km long, built between 1872-1882 (199 workers died), is on a 1100m over sea level, and you find max 1800m rock above your head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotthard_Tunnel

Around 2016 the new Gotthard Basis Tunnel (GBT) will open, being the longest rail tunnel on the world: 57 km (35.4 miles). Being 500-800 m below the older tunnel, it start in Erstfeld and ends in Bodio. 8 workers died during construction.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NEAT_GBT_engl.png

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotthard-Basistunnel

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotthard_Base_Tunnel

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: travel tips in switzerland

well martin yhnx for that history of tunnels which I was least interested in !!

Can anyone please answer what I actually asked ?

thnx ..

Edited: 4:51 am, June 26, 2012
Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel tips in switzerland

>is this the same half fare card which is half fare 1 month card?

Yes.

>if it is for swiss residents only, then the 1 month half fare card does not provide any discount on this rail?

No it is not just for Swiss residents. It is for any Half Fare Card so you can opt for the reduced fare.

BTW The 1/2/3 year HFC's are not just for Swiss residents. We have them and come from the UK.

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: travel tips in switzerland

Hey thnx for replying swissaholic..

i dnt knw i m having a tough time finding train from ineterlaken to milan..

as i said this is for 60 CHF.. which is on sbb...

Is this the cheapest? or going to spiez and then taking trenitalia or any other italian train would be cheap?

If you could suggest me the cheapest possible option?

Thnx a ton !!

Get answers to your questions about Lauterbrunnen