We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Lauterbrunnen,

Which Lauterbrunnen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Lauterbrunnen,

Hi there, traveling to Switzerland for the first time this October, only staying 3 days and 2 nights. Due to the short stay and after some research have decided to go and visit Lauterbrunnen.

However I'm still stuck on transportation, basically I can't figure out the best way to get from Ibiza to Lauterbrunnen (which city to fly into Switzerland), and then from Lauterbrunnen to Romania (Bucharest) . Can someone please help me out?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travelling to Lauterbrunnen,

Just go to the Lauterbrunnen station and buy a round trip ticket for the Jungfraujoch. Then take the next train up. I think from Lauterbrunen there is generally a change at Kleine Scheidegg, but this is a tiny station and you just walk across to the waiting train.

Disregard the comment about clouds. The only clouds that build up during the afternoons in the mountains are thunder clouds and those only happen when it is hot, which it is not a lot here! July and August, mostly but in fact it did happen this past Thursday with impressive results!!

The important clouds to avoid are the low-lying ones that hang around the mountains and they can just as often be there in the mornings, especially when there has been a lot of rain the day before, as in the afternoons.

Many people like to go up early in the mornings for quite another reason: the Jungfraujoch gets very crowded with tourists and as the day goes on, more and more people get up there... It is in fact now possible to reserve a seat on the train to go up and you might want to think about this?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travelling to Lauterbrunnen,

Thanks for that info, I would rather do it myself than with a tour guide. How long would this round trip from Lauterbrunnen up to the Jungfraujoch and back roughly take? 4 to 5 hours?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travelling to Lauterbrunnen,

the train itself takes 1hr45mins with one change at Kleine Scheidegg. Then you need at least an hour at the top - maybe longer depending on what you want to do. So your day will be at least 5hrs, maybe 7hrs... Take a look at the Jungfraujoch website to see what is on offer.

www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/places-to-visit/

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travelling to Lauterbrunnen,

We have to train from Basel AIrport up to Lauterbrunnen on the 8th of OCt then back to Zurich on the 10th Oct, will it be wise to book the tickets online or does it not get that busy so we can just buy at the train station when we arrive.? Also would this trip be worth buying a half fare travel card? We will also be training up to Jungfraujock

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Travelling to Lauterbrunnen,

Don't confuse tickets with seat reservations! You do not need any reservations on Swiss trains aside from certain "tourist" trains like the Glacier Express. This is not the case with you.

On arrival at the Basel airport take bus50 to the Basel SBB station. (Be sure it is the SBB station since trains to Interlaken Ost leave from there...) Then buy your train ticket from the ticket machines at the station. They "speak" English, take credit cards etc. Then get on the next train.

For a half fare card - one train ride is not enough to justify it. Cost is 110frs and it lasts a month. It will give you 50% off the Jungfrau train and so you need to calculate the cost of that, add it to the cost of your Basel-lauterbrunnen tickets, and 110frs and see if that is then cheaper than the total without the Half fare card.

16. Re: Travelling to Lauterbrunnen,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 14, 2013