We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lauterbrunnen->Stechelberg, Wengen->Kleine Scheidegg

Which Lauterbrunnen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sterling, Virginia
10 posts
Save Topic
Lauterbrunnen->Stechelberg, Wengen->Kleine Scheidegg

Hello,

I will be visiting Interlaken this September end.

Is it possible to do both these hikes in a single day?

a) Lauterbrunnen-> Stechelberg (including visit to Trummblebach Fall)

Plan: Take train from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen. Hike uptill Stechelberg. Take Post bus back to Lauterbrunnen.

b) Wengen -> Kleine Scheidegg

Plan: Take train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen. Hike uptill Klein Scheidegg. Take train back from Klein Scheidgg to Interlaken.

Please note that I will be starting the travel to and fro from Interlaken from Zurich..so will have to include that travel time too.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lauterbrunnen->Stechelberg, Wengen->Kleine Scheidegg

You will need half a day to do Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg plus visiting the falls and getting back to Lauterbrunnen (2 hours for the hike, an hour for the falls).

Wengen up to Kleine Scheidegg will take you about three hours (800 metres of height gain plus quite a bit of distance).

Added to a couple of hours each way on the train, I think it's too much for one day.

Sterling, Virginia
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lauterbrunnen->Stechelberg, Wengen->Kleine Scheidegg

Hmmm...I will then try to split it between 2 days. But just in case I must choose between the two.. which one should it be?

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lauterbrunnen->Stechelberg, Wengen->Kleine Scheidegg

It depends if you are more hikers or more sightseers... also depends on the weather.

You can do the Trummelbach - Stechelberg walk in any weather provided you have rainproof jackets. It's almost completely flat and very easy.

Walking up from Wengen to KS is easy (wide path that runs alongside the railway), but you will be climbing 800 metres / 2500 feet, which means that this requires a high level of fitness despite the good path. If you are young and fit - or even old and fit :-) then no problem. In bad weather this hike would be pointless as you would not see anything, you would just be on a path beside a railway line.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lauterbrunnen->Stechelberg, Wengen->Kleine Scheidegg

So here is an idea to get these two "must do" hikes into one day.

Take early train (like 8:00 am) from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen. Do the walk through the valley, with a side trip to Trümmelbach Falls. End at Stechelberg station. An earlier (by about 1/3 mile) stop is the Stechelberg/Schilthorn gondola station where you can catch the bus back to Lauterbrunnen. However, some of the most picturesque spots on this hike are between this stop and Stechelberg Inn so recommend that you walk the entire distance. This entire course will take you 3 - 4 hours from Interlaken (including Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen train ride), depending on how fast you walk.

Have a quick snack/lunch at Stechelberg Inn then catch the bus back to Lauterbrunnen (check the schedule before you go in, the busses run only once an hour and you don't want to miss one on your tight schedule).

Take the train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, walk halfway through the village, and take the gondola up to Männlichen. From there, it is the MOST scenic walk (about 1.5 hours) down to Kleine Scheidegg. From there, you take the train back to Lauterbrunnen via Wengen. The hike from Wengen up to KS is stunning but likely more aggressive than what you are thinking and will take a long time (per previous posters' recommendations) so not really do-able in one day unless you are quite aggressive walkers and don't take breaks.

Uh-oh, I just looked at your original post again and see that you are trying to do all of this from a Zurich base???? That's a problem. It is about 2.5 hours from Zurich to Interlaken each way. So, no, not possible.

If you want to do these walks (highly recommended) you need to stay closer. Interlaken is a touristy bummer of a town. Stay in Lauterbrunnen or, better yet, Wengen.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lauterbrunnen->Stechelberg, Wengen->Kleine Scheidegg

If you are interested in a little more strenuous hike you could combine the hikes. this way.

Get as earlt a start as you can. Walk from Lauterbrunnen to Trummelbach. Just past Trummelbach off the valley road there is a trail the goes up the rocks, over the Trummelbach Falls and on up to Stalden where you can take the trail to Kleine Scheidegg. As I said it's a harder trek taking about four hours but you will see fabulous scenery and you could do it all in one day weather permitting. This is not a hike I would do in bad weather.

Sterling, Virginia
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lauterbrunnen->Stechelberg, Wengen->Kleine Scheidegg

Thank you all so much for your inputs. I think it will be a better idea to split these hikes between 2 days. For the Lauterbrunnen valley hike, I might have some time left in the evening which I can use to explore nearby city (Interaken etc.) before returning to Zurich.

Can someone also please tell me the cost of traveling between Kleine Scheidegg and Interlaken Ost? I will have the Swiss Saver Pass with me, so considering that, will it be a free trip or discounted?

Thanks in advance!

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lauterbrunnen->Stechelberg, Wengen->Kleine Scheidegg

You will get a 25% discount between Kleine Scheidegg and Wengen/Grindelwald. From Wengen/Grindelwald to Interlaken will be free.

swisstravelsystem.ch/fileadmin/pdf/STS-GB-M-… showe the validity of the pass.

8. Re: Lauterbrunnen->Stechelberg, Wengen->Kleine Scheidegg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, October 19, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Lauterbrunnen