We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is best - April or May

Which Lauterbrunnen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg South...
Level Contributor
17 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Which is best - April or May

I intend to visit Switzerland next year. Last time (April 2008) I visited I was disappointed to find that a number of the cableways were not operating due to maintenance and I was told that April (being between the winter and summer seasons) is often when most maintenance is done. I have the choice of visiting either April or May next year and would like opinions on which would be the best month and why?

Thanks

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,353 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is best - April or May

neither month, really. The snow is melting and the ski resorts close at the end of April in the high resorts, earlier in the lower ones. From mid April to early or mid June it is what we call "mud" season in the Alps. For rather obvious reasons. if you want to see the mountains at their best, then plan your travel here in the winter - December to early april - or summer - July to September.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is best - April or May

We visited from July 26 - September 5. Fall was in the air by September. The weather is variable as it is anywhere. There were some 90 degree days and some 50 degree days with heavy rain. But overall, we did well with the weather and had few days spoiled by rain.

Our Interlaken trip was in early August and it was warm in Interlaken and nice in Murren with cool nights.

Edited: 12:04 pm, September 06, 2011
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is best - April or May

May can be nice in some of the lower hill/mountain regions, such as the Jura or Gruyère.

Some of the lower level cable-cars and chairlifts open for the Ascension holiday weekend, which usually falls in mid-May. But those that are open will, for the most part, only be operating on Saturday and Sundays.

Manchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is best - April or May

You can visit in May but be prepared for places to be quiet and for many shops and restaurants to be closed until the end of the month.

We visited 14-21 May this year and knew it would be quiet and that the cablecars wouldn't be operating, it really didn't stop us from having a lovely week. We couldn't do any of the higher walking cos the paths were still closed, but there was plenty of lower level walking, and we went in the thermal spa every afternoon. The weather was kind to us (we didn't mind a sudden freak snow storm one day!) but although I'd stressed that many places closed down for the month, I think my two friends hadn't realised how quiet, quiet would be. During the weekdays we were the only guests at our small 20 bedroomed hotel, and many of the bigger restaurants were closed up for six weeks from mid-April to end of May.

I would think that the advantage with the Oberland at that time is that you can reach many places using the regular transport services. Trains continue to Kl Scheidegg and I would expect that the Grutschalp gondola continues (?)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,353 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is best - April or May

The trains run to the Jungfraujoch (via Kl. Schiedegg) all year round. So many tourists!! For the Grutschalp téléphérique, as far as I know it operates year round. (I haven't used it to get to Mürren - I go via Stechelberg.)

Johannesburg South...
Level Contributor
17 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is best - April or May

Thanks all - we are now looking at postponing until June

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,353 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is best - April or May

Late June is much better than early June!!

8. Re: Which is best - April or May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, October 19, 2012