We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does it snow in Wengen at around mid to end November?

Which Lauterbrunnen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Topic
Does it snow in Wengen at around mid to end November?

Hi, just wondering if it snows in Wengen at ground level during the later part of November. And also what is the average temperature at that time of the year? Does it go below freezing point?

Tartu
Level Contributor
151 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does it snow in Wengen at around mid to end November?

Wengen Switzerland weather

meoweather.com/history/…Wengen.html

When is the best time to Visit Wengen:

The best time (months) of the year to visit Wengen are February, July and November.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does it snow in Wengen at around mid to end November?

<The best time (months) of the year to visit Wengen are February, July and November.>

Um... no, not really. In my opinion:

The best months to visit Wengen for snow/skiing are January/February/March

The best months to visit Wengen for hiking are June to early October

November in Switzerland is often cold, damp and grey. Sure, there is a chance of snow, but you are unlikely to get those cold, clear days when you can benefit from the snow. You're more likely to be stuck indoors with wet snow and cloud/fog outside.

Tartu
Level Contributor
151 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does it snow in Wengen at around mid to end November?

For skiing I would prefer February because mid of January has always been too busy due to the skiing Ride.

In early November hiking along the frozen slopes is a please. But I have realized, I come from very North of Europe and cold weather is an everyday chaos.

Sunny autumn.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Does it snow in Wengen at around mid to end November?

<In early November hiking along the frozen slopes is a please.> The problem is that you cannot reach the slopes because most cable cars and mountain trains are not running. November is completly off season. The fog is often just in lower parts and it can be very good (but cold) weather, but if you want to go up the mountains you need to choose a place that keeps at least parts of it's infrastructure open. Such places are for example Lucerne and Zermatt.

Edited: 7:09 am, August 31, 2011
Tartu
Level Contributor
151 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does it snow in Wengen at around mid to end November?

Hi friends, we started last November from Lauterbunnen - Männlichen down Grindewald ON FOOT. I mean hiking.

Around Lucern we have already been.

Can someone give information Is it possible hiking from First (where we go up on foot from Grindewald) to Meirigen. Have done rout First - Schynige platte Thanks.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does it snow in Wengen at around mid to end November?

We are getting a bit off topic here, as the OP wanted information about snow in Wengen...

But yes, you can hike from First to Meiringen via Grosse Scheidegg, assuming there isn't too much snow. Possible avalanche danger between First and Grosse Scheidegg.

Personally I would not go up to First though. Hike up directly from Grindelwald to grosse Scheidegg along what is the road in summer, then down the other side. This can be done on snowshoes if there's too much snow for hiking, there is no significant avalanche danger.

You will need two days if there is snow - even without snow it's a 7 to 8 hour hike. I did it on snowshoes last January, spending the night at Schwarzwaldalp just below Grosse Scheidegg on the Meiringen side.

Edited: 12:00 pm, August 31, 2011
Tartu
Level Contributor
151 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does it snow in Wengen at around mid to end November?

Sorry, I tried to connect with the topic- about snow in Wengen in November.....

We are preparing our group, some of us are beginners . As one of older members I must be sure that more than 10 hours hiking would be too much, but 7-8 h is OK.

Many thanks Neuchatel.

8. Re: Does it snow in Wengen at around mid to end November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, October 17, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Lauterbrunnen