We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

Which Lauterbrunnen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Morgantown, PA
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

My wife and I are coming to the Berner Oberland during the third week of June this year. I have been to Interlaken before and enjoy this center spot. However, I would really like to stay "in" the Alps. What are the advantages of staying in Lauterbrunnen, is it more beneficial than Interlaken?

Thanks,

MK

Carlisle
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

You really must go to Lauterbrunnen it's about 15mins up the mountain from Interlaken.

Interlaken is very touristy Lauterbrunnen valley is simply heaven on earth. much better to wake up there every morning and if need be drive down to Interlaken rather than the other way around....

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

Hi mkurtz66,

I'm sorry, but I don't really think that Lauterbrunnen is really anymore "in" the Alps than Interlaken is. Lauterbrunnen is at 796m and Interlaken is at 568m, so there's not much difference. Lauterbrunnen is certainly closer to the peaks, and it's smaller than Interlaken, but it's not really the same experience as, say, staying in Wengen (1247m).

Have you considered Wengen or Grindelwald?

s

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

Yes, agree with swandav. By staying in either Grindelwald or Wengen you get more of the 'in' the alps experience, with the benefit of easy access from lower down. (Also Murren, if you want to be further up via a cable-car ride).

Get answers to your questions about Lauterbrunnen