We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lauterbrunnen or Wengen - any difference in weather?

London
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lauterbrunnen or Wengen - any difference in weather?

Hello - I will be visiting the Jungfrau region for 5 days at the end of May. I have never been to the area and from reading other posts, it sounds like Wengen is very high up so I can expect snow at that time of year. Is the Lauterbrunnen valley at a lower altitude, can I expect warmer weather conditions there? Or are they pretty much the same?

My husband and I enjoy hiking but we were hoping for green/springtime scenery, and from reading posts I am starting to worry that it's still wintry around Wengen at the end of May

Many thanks!

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen - any difference in weather?

Wengen is not high up at all really... 1275 metres, compared to Lauterbrunnen at 800 metres. Both places are in the same valley so will get the same weather patterns - Lauterbrunnen is in the valley bottom whereas Wengen is halfway up the hillside. The temperature difference between the two places will be something like 5 degrees.

End of May, any residual snow should have disappeared from that altitude, although there is still the possibility of a cold snap. Last weekend it snowed at 1200 metres in the Bernese Oberland, but one day of sunshine was enough to melt it.

Anyway... the two places are only 15 minutes apart by train, so you can easily go down to Lauterbrunnen for lower altitude hikes if you're based in Wengen.

There is a nice walking path between the two villages - steep but easy, with great views of the valley - see http://www.hikr.org/tour/post30010.html to get an idea (text in French plus photos).

Edited: 7:49 am, May 21, 2011
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen - any difference in weather?

Hi sunseeker27,

I'm not sure what exactly you might be expecting as "wintry," but I really doubt that it would be bad.

One year I scheduled my ski trip in mid-February (to make sure there was snow), but even at that time, there were not blankets of snow in the village. In fact, there were just a few whisps of snow on the lamps and rooftops, but all the sidewalks and roads were totally clear.

You can also get a very clear picture of what it looks like using the webcams. If you go to

www.wengen.com

and click on the big "Wengen" at the top of the page, you'll get a current picture. Or you can go to this site

skiinfo.com/Webcam/Wengen-ECHWENGE-99-en-109…

and see another shot.

I really think the atmosphere and the clean air of the village is really worth experiencing.

Have fun!

s

Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen - any difference in weather?

At the end of May Lauterbrunnen temperature won't be much different from London. O.K. Wengen is 1000metres directly above but it is on a sunny shelf so best case scenario is spring like short sleeve shirt weather.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen - any difference in weather?

<O.K. Wengen is 1000metres directly above >

Not even that... there's only 500 metres difference.

Edited: 3:48 pm, May 21, 2011
London
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen - any difference in weather?

Thank you all for your replies, super useful. Wengen it is for us then, hopefully the sun will be out for some great walks

Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen - any difference in weather?

Seems more when your in that wee train. Should have went to Specsavers. Anyway sunseeker good choice!

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen - any difference in weather?

<Seems more when your in that wee train>

And more still when you walk up :-)

But I checked again on the map: Lauterbrunnen 795 metres, Wengen 1274.

Visakhapatnam
Level Contributor
362 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen - any difference in weather?

In the first week of may, when we went there, there was no snow in either Lauterbrunnen and Wengen. Higher up, upto Kleine Schedegg, most of the residual snow has melted and things were starting to turn green. They should be lush green by now,

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen - any difference in weather?

Kleine Scheidegg got a good dumping of snow on 15/16 May... but yes, most if not all of it should have gone by now. Unless it snows again, of course...

10. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Wengen - any difference in weather?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 25, 2012