We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery store open on Sunday in Mid-October

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grocery store open on Sunday in Mid-October

I will be staying in Lauterbrunnen in Mid-October for 1 week and was wondering if the grocery store will be open on Sunday's? We will be arriving late Saturday and didn't know if I should pick somethings up before we got into town or not.

Thanks

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,362 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery store open on Sunday in Mid-October

Hi Family4UK,

Unfortunately, normally grocery stores are closed on Sunday.

There seems to be two that will be open on Sunday, though. They are:

COOP Matten

Address Metzgergasse 15

3800 Matten

Coop Pronto

Höheweg 26

3800 Interlaken, Switzerland

In general when I arrive late on a Saturday, I plan to eat in restaurants on the Sunday -- that could be your backup plan!

Have fun!

s

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,713 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery store open on Sunday in Mid-October

All stores open in resorts on Sundays BUT only in season. Mid October is probably out of season for Lauterbrunnen.

You will find small grocery stores at all major train stations as well as at most large petrol stations. These are your best bet for Sunday shopping. You can get pasta and make a sauce, salad etc. Basic stuff though.

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery store open on Sunday in Mid-October

Thanks... that is what I thought would be the case but thought I would ask.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery store open on Sunday in Mid-October

If you are arriving via the airport you can pick up some things at the grocery in the airport terminal and take them with you. That should get you through until Monday.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,713 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery store open on Sunday in Mid-October

depending on which airport - Zurich has all sorts of shops in the basement near the station, all open Sundays. Geneva has a full branch of a Migros (supermarket). To get there you need to walk past the ticket counters and as far as you can on that concourse. The Migros (quite big) will be in front of you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery store open on Sunday in Mid-October

I will be arriving in Wengen on Sunday Sept. 27. Can I buy basic provisions at the Coop in Interlaken? How late will it be open? I would like to check in (4 p.m.) and then go back and get some provisions. Is this possible or should I get them before I go to Wengen?

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,731 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery store open on Sunday in Mid-October

coop.ch/pb/…index.html

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery store open on Sunday in Mid-October

I believe this web site would have the information I need, but the part in English does not translate the hours and locations for me. It only gives corporate philosophy.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery store open on Sunday in Mid-October

I am pulling my high school French from the far reaches of my brain! Am I correct that the Coop Pronto at 3800 Interlaken is open on Sundays until 10:30 p.m.? We will be arriving from Lucerne by train. Can someone tell me how to get there? Also how to we get there from the station from Wengen? Thank you in advance.

10. Re: Grocery store open on Sunday in Mid-October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:45 am, September 14, 2009