We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

Which Lauterbrunnen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

I'm spending 4/5 days in the region in late July and am wondering where would be better to stay? I'm keen to do some canyoning and adventure stuff, but also want to head up Jungfraujoch. Will be staying in hostels. Any suggestions as to where to book the bulk of my accommodation?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,089 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

Hi Kate017,

In late July/August, Interlaken will just be over-run with other tourists (tour busses, etc). However, you may actually prefer a busy time, as that will mean that you'll have a better chance of meeting other young folks at the hostel.

Lauterbrunnen, by comparison, should be much less crowded --

Have fun!

s

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

Balmers Herberge, Interlaken

Funny Farm, Interlaken

www.interlaken-adventures.ch/hostels_e.php

...most backpackers prefer Interlaken. Where the fun and games are...if you prefer a more secluded village go for Lauterbrunnen.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

Thanks for your responses... I had kind of gathered that Interlaken was a bit more 'party' and Lauterbrunnen more low key. I think we may decide to spend a couple of days in each. :) Balmers looks pretty good... will book it in the next couple of days.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

In Lauterbrunnen there is the "Valley Hostel" and the hostel cabins at Camping Jungfrau. Both are good bets, clean and reasonable. If you are looking to get further up into the mountains Rick Steves favorite the Hostel in Gimmelwald may be a good choice.

5. Re: Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, November 14, 2009