We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gondola or Funicular?

Which Lauterbrunnen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mississippi
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Topic
Gondola or Funicular?

When we were in Lauterbrunnen during Sommer 2006, they were repairing the rails for the funicular between the valley floor and Grutschalp. I have been told that they have now replaced that with a gondola. Does anyone know which is correct? We are planning another trip there next year and would like to start deciding where we'd like to explore without getting on a gondola.

Thank you!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gondola or Funicular?

Randygrace it's a large gondola. I think it holds about 100 people and it's much quicker than the funicular was

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gondola or Funicular?

Technically it's a cablecar. That is one large (approx capacity 80 people or more) car that is the only car on the line. It's very similar to the one that travels from Stechelberg up to Gimmelwald and Murren. The new one from Lauterbrunnen to Grutchalp doesn't get nearly as far off the ground as the Stechelberg cablecar does though. It's a very smooth ride that only takes around ten minutes. The car stops at the station, loads up and heads to the other end where everybody gets off. Like a big bus.

FYI A gondola is a system that has a string of many small cars that hold aprox four people each and runs continuously from one point to another like the Mannlichen to Grindelwald Gondola or the Grindelwald to First Gondola. At the stations you have to get in and out rather radidly because the cars barely stop at all.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gondola or Funicular?

Found a video for you. You can see from this that the car barely rises above the treetops on its' way down the mountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azpgXlAy5Is

Mississippi
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gondola or Funicular?

Thanks everyone for the replies! I have a horrible problem with heights, but after watching the video, I think I can make the ride up then walk across and down. Sorry for the confusion of terms and I appreciate the explanation. We usually follow the trail near the old tracks up, but this time we will have young teens who aren't too keen on the climb. The atemraubende Anblicke are well worth ten minutes of fear!

MfG,

Grace

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gondola or Funicular?

Why not send the teens up in the cablecar and walk up yourself?

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gondola or Funicular?

Actually if you're a hiker the trail that goes all the way up to Murren is really quite nice. It takes you through wooded areas that are the head waters for the waterfalls that cascade down the sides of the Lauterbrunnen valley including the Staubach Falls. It's not too hard and takes about 2 1/2 hrs. Take the trail that starts in the center of Lauterbrunnen next to the Hotel Oberland. When you get above town the trail splits off with the right fork going up to Grutchalp on the trail you're familiar with and the left fork going on to Murren. It's a very pleasant, well marked trail that will bring you out next to the railroad line about ten minutes outside on Murren on the panoramma trail that comes from Grutchalp and Winteregg. Start out early and tell the kids to meet you.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
382 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gondola or Funicular?

Randy - I also have a fear of heights, flying for me is sheer terror from start to finish - but I felt completely safe on the cable cars, big or small. By the end of our trip last year we were so blase about travelling on them, jumping on and off. Another trip this year, and we are already feeling nervous, but we know now that we'll soon get over it. It's part of the experience. My daughter is terrified of the funiculars (why??) but she also knows she's going to do it. Have an adventure!! :)

8. Re: Gondola or Funicular?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, October 05, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Lauterbrunnen