We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing March - Staying in Valley?

Inverness - Scotland
3 posts
Save Topic
Skiing March - Staying in Valley?

Hi - I hope someone might be able to help. We are a group of 4 guys (30s & 40s) who love skiing and are thinking of staying in the Jungfrau Hotel w/c 8 march. What we would lke to know is:

1. Is the hotel OK? - It's meant to be a 3 star - as long as it's not a hostel then OK

2. How long does it take to get up to the skiing? - if it takes ages then perhaps we might be better up at a resort.

3. Are the bars etc 'lively' with apres ski or is it just 'dead' in the evenings?

Many thanks

Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing March - Staying in Valley?

I'm guessing (having never stayed there) but knowing what Lauterbrunnen is like as a rather quiet backwater village in a deep gorge-like valley (I assume that's where Hotel Jungfrau is?) that the nightlife may be very low key. I would have thought for nightlife Grindelwald or even Wengen would be much better, both are busier places, Grindelwald in particular, you would also be much closer to the skiing.

For times up and down the mountains check out www.sbb.ch/en and put start and end points in. Or go to www.jungfrauwinter.ch.

Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,277 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing March - Staying in Valley?

Hi Paul12345,

It might be tough getting both things you'd like.

If you are close to the skiing in a mountain village at high altitdue, you probably won't have much nightlife. Most folks enjoy an after-dinner drink at the hotel bar and then shuffle off to bed (we're so tired after a day of skiing!!). I have seen some bars and dance places, but I can't vouch for the crowd or the liveliness inside. There is at least one backpackers' hotel in Wengen (I assume they mostly have single young folks), and I assume the young single ski instructors go somewhere to party, and I have seen that the Regina in Grindelwald has a disco -= but again I don't have personal knowledge of any one of them.

Then, if you want a lively scene at night, it's likely that you'll be far from the skiing. I think Interlaken would have the best option (it does have a Hooters!), but it's about an hour from the slopes.

I think that I would find the best spot closest to the slopes -- then befriend a young person and ask where s/he or they are partying.

Good luck!

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing March - Staying in Valley?

Hi Paul

Dont be put off staying in Lauterbrunnen!

I havent stayed at The Jungfrau but have eaten there.It seemed very nice & the food was good. Its the only hotel in Lauterbrunnen with a swimming pool.

It is also very conveniently situated for the Horner pub which can get very lively-it has a disco at the back. My son managed to stay there til 4.30a.m on New years eve.Also you can use your lift pass to go up to Wengen or down to Interlaken, as Swandav suggested,for a night out.Just dont miss the last train!

We love Lauterbrunnen cos you can ski both the Muerren and the Wengen areas very easily. From the new cable car you can be up to Winteregg to access the skiing in 20mins. If the run back to the village is open you will be able to ski back to the Jungfrau.

Yes, you have to take the train up to ski the Wengen side in the morning, but its very comfortable & I think beats queuing for lifts.

4. Re: Skiing March - Staying in Valley?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, September 20, 2009