We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do? Costs?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
What to do? Costs?

Hi all just decided to travel to Switzerland, booked a ticket from Berlin to Zurich, and just started doing some research but have some questions.

Planning on traveling from Zurich and staying in Lauterbrunnen for 5 nights at the end of May.

I'm curious about where I should go, there seems like so many places, so far maybe Murren, Gimmelwald, Schilthorn??

Recommend day tours from Lauterbrunnen?

How much are the cable cars to these various places?

Would a pass be a good idea?

I will be travling from Interlaken to Italy after this so not sure if a pass will be needed?

What are some good short hikes?? no more than 3 hours, not to strenous, but hopeful scenic.

Would appreciate all the help...

I'm still researching so please forgive me if I sound a little clueless or repetative of others :)

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do? Costs?

Don't miss the Schilthorn, the view is just great. On the way to stop in Murren and maybe Gimmelwald. If you can afford it I would also go the Jungfraujoch. It's completely different to the Schilthorn and a great experience.

Just outside of Lauterbrunnen are the Truemmelbach falls (waterfalls in a canyon) which is an other must place. truemmelbachfaelle.ch

<Would a pass be a good idea?> Yes. Which one is the best depends on your itnereary. The Half Fare Card is usually a very good deal (half fare on nealy all public transport, including Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch). www.swisstravelsystem.ch

<How much are the cable cars to these various places?>

prices for cable cars/ mountain trains around Lauterbrunen: jungfraubahn.ch/en/…89_read-6489

Other great mountain tops not far from Lauterbrunnen are: www.niederhorn.ch, www.niesen.ch, www.stockhorn.ch, www.rellerli.ch, www.brienz-rothorn-bahn.ch

<What are some good short hikes?? > It depends on the weather, as May is eary summer season. Usually good choices are Gruetschalp to Murren, Maennlichen to Kleine Scheidegg and First to Grosse Scheidegg. I'm sure the local tourist office will have the great suggestons for you.

More infos on: www.interlaken.ch, www.wengen-muerren.ch and a bit further www.alpenregion.ch www.gstaad.ch www.thun.ch

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,825 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do? Costs?

Day Tours: You definitely don't need a tour group or guide to do any of these things. If you stay in Lauterbrunnen you will be right in the center of everything. All of these sights are easily accessible via Public Transportation (bus, train, gondola, cogwheel) from Lauterbrunnen. You could conceiveably travel to Schilthorn, Muerren, Gimmelwald, Trummmelbach Falls, Wengen, and Jungfrau in two days...that's how close everything is. But I would suggest you stay longer, go slower, and just take in the amazing scenery of this place.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,825 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do? Costs?

Forgot to mention that www.sbb.ch will give you the prices of all the transportations in the area. A Swiss Saver Pass (for 2 or more people) will cover all public transport inside Switzerland (trains, boats, busses, gondolas, cogwheels, intercity trams, etc). Even when you get to Lauterbrunnen the SSP will completely cover your trips up to Gimmelwald, Muerren and Wengen. From Muerren on up to the Schilthorn will be discounted 50% and Wengen on up to the Jungfrau will also be discounted 50%.

As for short hikes, just walking in the villages will give you some wonderful scenic hikes. More than likely, wherever you choose to stay will probably be glad to give you some tips on where to hike.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do? Costs?

Thanks everyone for the greast advice.

One more question can you book your train tickets like say by journey from zurich to lautebrunnen through the swiss travel site?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,927 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do? Costs?

>One more question can you book your train tickets like say by journey from zurich to lautebrunnen through the swiss travel site?

If you mean the swisstravelsystem.com website - no, they only sell passes. While it is technicaly possible to buy tickets online through www.sbb.ch, there is hardly any reason to do so except saving yourself a few minutes at the ticket machine just before jumping on the train.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do? Costs?

If you are going up both the Schilthorn and the Jungfraujoch, you will want a pass that will reduce the cost by 50%. One possibility is the half-fare card, which you can buy there for 99CHF. The other option would be a 3-day FlexPass, which would cover your travel to Lauterbrunnen from the Swiss border, and from Lauterbrunnen to the Italian border, plus one other day of travel, and give you 50% off the high mountain excursions. You'll have to do the math to know which is the better option. If you choose the FlexPass, you could use the second travel day to take a lake cruise fro Interlaken. That pass acts just lilke a half-fare card between the first and last day of use.

If you decide on a FlexPass, you will save $$$ by buying it in the US before December 31. (It is good for 6 months from purchase date). They haven't adjusted the exchange rate, so the cost in dollars is considerably less than the cost in Swiss francs. They will adjust that January 1. The Rick Steves website has good information on Swiss train passes---comparing costs and coverage, etc.

http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/ausswitz.cfm

In addition to the hikes already mentioned, you can walk in the upper Lauterbrunnen Valley, from Stechelberg. This is in the opposite direction from Lauterbrunnen. The path takes you past a string of 3 rustic Berghotels (mountain inns) where you can stop for lunch (assuming they are open in May). The first is about an hour up the path, the second another hour beyond, and the thire 30 minutes more. Walk as far as you like and return.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do? Costs?

Thanks again all great help

Just wondering someone mentioned a lake cruise from interlaken, can I get some more info on this? What is it and where?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,218 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do? Costs?

Hi Cora the explorer,

The ferries run on either Lake Thun or Lake Brienz. Not sure if they'll be running in May though. You can get information at

www.bls.ch.

Have fun!

s

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do? Costs?

Yes--they are showing a schedule for spring (April and May, 2008).

http://www.bls.ch/d/schifffahrt/fahrplan.php

On Thunersee, you can visit Oberhofen castle. On Brienzersee, you could stop at Giessbach, ride a funicular up to the hotel, and see the waterfall:

www.giessbach.ch

A good guid to the region, with suggested excursions, is Philip & Loretta Alspach "Swiss Bernese Oberland: a Summer Guide with Specific Trips to the Mountains, Lakes and Villages".

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do? Costs?

Thanks again everyone you have been a tremendous help!

Get answers to your questions about Lauterbrunnen