We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lauterbrunnen - 4 days (grandparents and children)

london
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
Lauterbrunnen - 4 days (grandparents and children)

Hi there - we're planning a family holiday with our parents and children.

Would like to make it special so need to plan things which both the grandparents and grandchildren would love.

Grandparents can't walk much so no hiking.

We will be in Lauterbrunnen for 4 days (Saturday to Wednesday). Here is my plan (please add suggestions or completely change it)

Saturday (reach at 2pm) - sight seeing Lauterbrunnen village. Any suggestions/places/ walking trail of 20 mins or under?

Are their any places we can see cows or ducks nearby?

Day 2 - go to lake Thun or Interlaken (any preference?) For lake cruise and Horse Carriage ride. Where can we find the horse carriages?

Day 3- may be Luzern? But that's far... any suggestions where else we can go.

Day 4- any beautiful train ride we can do around Lauterbrunnen ....plus a kids activity for a 3 year old and 8 year old?

Day 5 - we leave (hopefully with unforgettable memories)

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Lauterbrunnen Village
Lauterbrunnen Village
186 Reviews
Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
Thun
Thun
Canton of Bern, Switzerland
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
8 replies to this topic
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lauterbrunnen - 4 days (grandparents and children)

No replies. Hmm wondering if I asked something too specific or basis?

herethereandeverywhe...
Level Contributor
284 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lauterbrunnen - 4 days (grandparents and children)

Not an expert by any means but we are just back from a wonderful holiday in Lauterbrunnen.

There is a quiet road that leads from the village to the Staubbach Falls and onwards towards the end of the valley. Flat paved road with stunning views and lots of cows along the way - with bells on!!

Or take the train up to Wengen which sits above the valley. Nice little shopping area and a playpark. Short walk to the church where there are benches and the best view I have ever seen.

Train to Interlaken Ost then a five minute walk to a huge green space where the paragliders land. Fascinating to watch them. Can't comment on horse drawn carriages.Have fun! ☺

Mentioned in this post
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Hotel Staubbach
Hotel Staubbach
1,006 Reviews
Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
Wengen
Wengen
Interlaken
Interlaken
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lauterbrunnen - 4 days (grandparents and children)

Thanks,tallandglam. The paragliding park you mentioned,is that in interlaken or lauterbrunnen? It sure will be nice watching folks come down the skies.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lauterbrunnen - 4 days (grandparents and children)

I am also not an expert but am visiting the area (in Murren) now and have stayed in Lauterbrunnen with LO last summer.

Lauterbrunnen has a nice playground/sandlot near the waterfall The path beyond the waterfall is flat and stroller friendly as mentioned above.

We are currently in Murren and there is a popular Children's playground that is accessible by gondola. As of today, the gondola is not operating due to repairs. The hike to the playground is uphill but doable with some of the path in a small forrest. Apx 45m but it took us an hour. I don't recommend the hike for the grandparents since you mentioned they can only walk on easy terrain. I don't know when the gondola will be operating but maybe you can find out online, or if anyone else knows, please share. If the gondola is operating, the trip to the Children's Playground should be nice for everyone. There is a nice cafe at the site and easy to moderate, short paths around the playground. I think the path is called the Flower Trail and there is info about the different wild flowers in the area. Oh, and amazing views of Jungfrau, Eiger and Monch.

If you end up going to Lucerne, I highly recommend the Transportation Museum for all too.

Good luck!

Edited: 8:52 pm, June 09, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Murren
Murren
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Jungfrau
Jungfrau
534 Reviews
Hotel Eiger
Hotel Eiger
700 Reviews
Murren, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lauterbrunnen - 4 days (grandparents and children)

Edit... I meant the funicular is under repairs, not gondola.

Here is more info about the Children's Playground area:

https:/…

The trip from Lauterbrunnen is fun too, involving a short gondola and old timey train ride. The funicular to the Children's Playground is in the middle of Murren, not far from the station.

Edited: 9:01 pm, June 09, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Murren
Murren
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lauterbrunnen - 4 days (grandparents and children)

Thanks for your help.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lauterbrunnen - 4 days (grandparents and children)

Hi we just returned from a trip to lauterbrunnen, were there with parents(with joint troubles so no hiking).On day 2 we went to trummelbachhe falls,(a bus takes you directly to the foot of the falls) if the kids are not too small you may go here, theres a lift which takes you to a certain level but there are steps from there on, you could climb a few stairs if not all of them(Just take care of the kids cos it can be slippery,not too child friendly).But the falls are unforgettable.

Lake brienz is gorgeous,clear blue waters and closer than lake thun from Lauterbrunnen,by train you could get off at Brienz station and take a cruise on a boat(free with swiss travel pass).

You could go upto the town of Murren by taking a gondola from Stechelberg in Lauterbrunnen(Stechelberg is reachable by buses from Lauterbrunnen,theres just one bus amd you couod check timings with google maps or the sbb timetable app).In Murren see if you can take a funicular to Almendhubel flower garden.

If you want to go further up from Murren ,you can go to mount scilthorn from here.(Its not extremely cold).this entire gondola ride from stechelberg in lauterbrunnen to scilthorn is free with swiss travel pass.Hope you enjoy as much as we did!

Mentioned in this post
Lake Brienz
Lake Brienz
630 Reviews
Brienz, Switzerland
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Murren
Murren
Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Lauterbrunnen - 4 days (grandparents and children)

Hi I'm in Murren right now. The funicular that takes you up to Allmenhubel is under repair till 22 June 2018. We hiked up for the sake of the beautiful flower park playground. It normally takes 40mins but we took 1hr30m as our 3yo hiked with us. The north face hike begins from Allmenhubel to Murren but I would not suggest that cos it's difficult for the elderlys.

From Launterbrunnen, besides the staubbach falls and Trummelbach falls (above 4yo), you can take the gondola to schilthorn for the views, Wenger, and Murren.

In Interlaken, you can walk leisurely to take a funicular up to Harder Kulm, the view is spectacular!

Mentioned in this post
Murren
Murren
Interlaken
Interlaken
Harder Kulm
Harder Kulm
1,682 Reviews
Interlaken, Switzerland
Reply to: Lauterbrunnen - 4 days (grandparents and children)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;