We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tavira to Alvor

Dublin
Level Contributor
35 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Tavira to Alvor

I'm just thinking ahead to warmer days and summer holidays and am thinking about going to Tavira for a few days and then on to Alvor for a week. What is the best way to travel, I don't mind paying for taxi/hackney, or private transfer, how much would this cost, roughly? Is it a hassle to go by public transport, I presume we would have to go to Faro and change there for Tavira?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,685 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tavira to Alvor

"Is it a hassle to go by public transport, I presume we would have to go to Faro and change there for Tavira?"

There is no railway station at Alvor so the I think the best way would be bus or train Tavira to Faro, then bus to Portimão then the local bus from there to Alvor.

The train and bus stations in Faro are only about 100 yards apart.

Bus fares Tavira - Faro €4,25, Faro - Portimão €4.65, Portimão to Alvor €1,75

It's slow but you will get there. There are very few buses at weekends however.

Bus times Tavira - Faro www.algarvebus.info/015.htm

Faro - Portimão www.algarvebus.info/002s.htm

The local bus (route 10) from Portimão to Alvor runs every half hour on weekdays, every hour at weekends. That bit of the journey is only about 4 miles, so taxi might be more convenient at that end if there's no bus for a while. There's a taxi rank where the buses stop in Portimão.

There are also trains from Tavira to Portimão (change at Faro on most) but the station at Portimão is several minutes walk (or a short bus ride) from where the Alvor bus leaves from. There are taxis at Portimão station.

Train times www.algarvebus.info/006.htm train fare is €8.30

Do check bus and train times nearer the day as they are changed here without prior warning.

A taxi would cost a lot, I would guess €70 or €80 at least. You may be able to get one of the airport transfer companies to do the run at a slightly lower cost.

I hope that helps.

2. Re: Tavira to Alvor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Tavira
Recent Conversations