We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tavira update & passport advice needed going into Spain .

Newton Abbot
Level Contributor
183 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Tavira update & passport advice needed going into Spain .

We are here and have bicycles from Joseph, a couple of buildings down from his Bar, Anzous , just across the Roman Bridge, then on the right. I really recommend him, good bikes which he spent time making sure everything worked perfectly before we left. A very helpful man.

Weather amazing and everyone very friendly. We are at the Vila Gale Hotel , good room ( worth the upgrade to overlook the pool), food and location.

Do we show passports when crossing the border into Spain, we go to Seville on Wednesday ?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tavira update & passport advice needed going into Spain .

No, there's no passport control but here you always have to carry an identity.

So I recommend you carry your passport.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,260 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tavira update & passport advice needed going into Spain .

You can be asked to show passports when crossing national borders, mainly to prove that you are entitled to be on the Schengen Area. Carry the passport at all times as an identity document.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,493 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tavira update & passport advice needed going into Spain .

Good point about ID and passports. Even tourists are required, by law, to carry ID in both Portugal and Spain. I always carry a photocopy of mine.

In the unfortunate event of an accident let's say, ID will be asked for.

I have also seen passport control on the little ferry that goes between Portugal and Spain at Vila Real de Santo António. Maybe they were looking for someone in particular, but everyone was being checked.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tavira update & passport advice needed going into Spain .

Three weeks ago, en route to Sevilla on the morning EVA bus from Lagos, about 5 minutes from VRSA, and with three pax of Asian looks on board, I heard the driver phone the police at the border to say the bus would be crossing the border in "15 minutos"!

When we arrived at the Guadiana bridge, sure enough, there were two Spanish Guarda Civils from the joint border control point waiting to walk through the bus and check ID's. The three paxs turned out to be from South Korea, so no problem.

On the return trip, a week later, we passed over the bridge with no id check stop.

I have noticed the drivers doing something similar before but have never been close enough behind them to hear the conversation exactly. It appears the the drivers of both the DAMAS and EVA buses on the Sevilla run have an "unofficial" agreement to notify the border police if they are carrying passengers whose id they think should be checked.

Edited: 5:00 am, December 23, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Tavira
Recent Conversations