We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

Durbanville, South...
Level Contributor
511 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

I have read a previous post about this route, but that was posted in 2009.

We plan to stay in Nafplion for 3 days (4 nights) next year end of May.

During this time we would like to spend 1 day driving to Monemvasia and back. We have planned anyway to go as far as Leonidio, so why not as far as Monemvasia for a day trip?

(Cannot overnight in Monemvasia as the next stage of our trip is Nafplio to Kalamata via Mystras)

Is that possible and how long will the drive there and back take?

O-o-oh, so much to see and so little time!!

PLEASE tell me we can fit this daytrip in.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

Philhellene wrote: " Big chunks of the road are in a shocking state between Pelata and Kremasti and it doesn't look like it will improve any time soon."

Does anyone know whether that is still true? We will be driving Nafplion-Monemvasia in two weeks and would like to pick the most scenic route if the roads are passable.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

The most scenic route is from Leonidio to Kosmas and Skala. No need to worry about the stretch from Pelata to Kremasti - I just like to vary my route occasionally. It's probably no better now than it was when I last posted.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

Thank you!

If you have any suggestions for places to see and/or eat along the way, I would be happy to hear them. If not, thanks again for your helpful reply.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

A really nice place to eat is Dolphins restaurant at Plaka, the port of Leonidio which always has good food, friendly service and lovely views. To get there, you look out for the signs as you approach Leonidio and turn left across the river bed. It's usually dried up but it had running water a couple of weeks ago but it's fordable. If you didn't fancy it, you could continue into Leonidio and cross by the bridge - it just adds a few minutes to your drive. As I recall, the signs are in Greek - just look out for ΠΛΑΚΑ and ΠΟΥΛΙΘΡΑ. Curiously, the sign also directs you to Monemvasia but you should ignore that as it would mean taking the road that you want to avoid. The only thing that might put you off about Dolphins is that it's only an hour and a half at most from Nafplion so it might be a bit early for you.

THere are a few places to eat in Kosmas but I've only ever had a coffee in them. It's a lovely place to break your journey anyway.

There aren't actually very many places on your route which are open lunchtimes at that time of year which are worth trying.

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

Hi, I have read many of your posts and find them extremely helpful. I am attempting to organize an itinerary for my family taking in Athens and parts of the Pel. Pen. It is a DAUNTING task--so much to choose from!! I you wouldn't mind answering a few questions I would appreciate it. Our rough plans is Athens (5 days for my daughter and I, 2 for my partner and son) and then to rent a car and explore parts of the Pel. Pen. staying in Nafplio and Elliniko Arcadia (suggested by rafting outfit)) and that's all I have figured out thus far. I have lots of notes now have to decide. Here are my ?

1. Hydra? Is that a fun day trip from Athens? We will not be visiting any islands given that we will be there in March.

2. Sounion- My partner wants to take a day trip there from Athens then head to Pel. Pen.

3. Lousios Gorge- do you know anything about rafting there? I spoke with folks with Trekking Hella.

Thank you so much for your time. I hope that I may be of help to you sometime.

Take care,

Jill

jmcepona@gmail.com

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

Sorry, I put this in the wrong forum. I'm new to this system. Happy travels!

17. Re: Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, June 02, 2014