We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodations in old town (castle)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
477 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodations in old town (castle)

I'm looking for opinions on the hotels in Monemvasia. We want to stay in the old town, I understand there are three hotels there - Malvasia, Byzantion and Kellia. Has anyone stayed in any of these? Any input? Also, if you have, do you know approximate cost? Haven't been able to find rates online, and have tried calling but the long distance doesn't seem to be connecting properly. (I can hear them, they can't hear me) We are looking for off-season (May)

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodations in old town (castle)

We were originally going to stay in Malvasia last September; the rates were about 150E a night (sea view room). Instead, we decided to save a little money and stay at the Flower of Monemvasia for less than half the price. The Flower is within walking distance of the fortess, so we easily walked to the entrance and the spent the day hiking up to the top.

Malvasia is beautiful and certainly staying in the fortress in very special, but we just decided to save money as we were nearing the end of our trip.

It's a lovely area, and I think you'll have a great time either way.

Also, in September the water at the pebble beach as you first enter town was absolutely rejuvenating.

Happy Travels!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodations in old town (castle)

I would propose to stay in a traditional house inside the caste, where you will have the same feeling as in the hotel, except of the breakfast that you can have in a cafe after 2-3 mins walking.

I doubt if this costs more than 80-100 euro.

You can try Kate's appartments +302732061772. and ask if they have a room with terrace and sea view.

BTY, May is the best time to visit Monemvasia

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodations in old town (castle)

just wondering if any of the above contibutors can help...we are also hoping to visit monemvasia in september this year after a few weeks in the cyclades.

Is it too ambitious to see nafplio -monemvasia and Kardamyli in a 5 days/ 4 nights self drive tour of the peloponnese area?

what areas should we not miss - we wanted to do a big circle starting in nafplio and come back via the langada pass - do you have any thoughts/advice?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodations in old town (castle)

totti, your idea is very good and i think time is enough

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodations in old town (castle)

Try not to miss Mistras outside Sparta..I love the Mani too..the drive from Gythion to Aereopoli is lovely, the caves at Dirou are very interesting, this is a wonderful area to explore..and the people are welcoming..We found the Mani and Laconia to be delightfully provincal. Try to climb to the top of Monemvasia

the view is breathtaking..Have a blast and drive carefully.

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodations in old town (castle)

totti, we did something similar last september. drove from athens to mistra--the climb through the fortress to the top is amazing as are the ruins, then drove to monemvasia that afternoon. we stayed in monemvasia for a few days, then drove to nafplio. monemvasia is such a unique place and nafplio was charming. your time frame sounds great. also, the weather was perfect in september.

have a wonderful time. we really enjoyed exploring this small part of the peloponnese.