We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riga to Liepaja - by road August 2006

Chorley Lancs
2 posts
Save Topic
Riga to Liepaja - by road August 2006

Hi there.

I am visiting friends in August and have arranged for a hire car. I would welcome any advice on the best route to get from Riga to Liepaja on the Baltic coast ( about 220 km west), the approximate journey time and any tips on what to do and to avoid whilst driving around Latvia!

If anyone knows where I can get a decent road map (written in English) and any other useful info that would be great. Are all the road signs in Latvian? What is the condition of the roads outside the main cities?

Prieka!

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
637 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Riga to Liepaja - by road August 2006

The main A9 would be your best route going via Saldus. It's around 200km from Riga.

Journey time should be about 2.5 - 3.0 hours depending on your driving style. Be careful of the traffic cops. They are quite often working that route. Once you are out of built up areas the speed limit is 90kph and limits are very strictly observed by the police. Speed limits on dual carriageways are 100kph.

Make sure that you have your lights on at all times, it's the law.

Things to avoid? Any Latvian dirver! They are, quite frankly, dangerous. I think most car manufacturers could save money by not bothering to put indicators on cars being sold in Latvia, because the drivers certainly don't bother to use them, at least out in the country.

Seriously, just be careful. They are not really that bad but Latvia does have the highest road traffic accident rate in the whole of Europe.

The roads are fairly good all the way, a bit bumpy in places but no problems at all. Road signs are all in Latvian.

Make sure you stop at Broceni, just outside Saldus, it's a great halfway stop off. On your right hand side, just before a roundabout, you'll see a petrol station. It has a little cafe attached which sells the most amazing range of freshly cooked danish pastries. And they are 15p each! 6 of us called in there a couple of weeks ago. Our order was for 6 danish pastries, 4 cheese croissants, 4 coffees, 2 Cokes and 2 bottles of water. The bill was less than £4.00 !! God knows why but if you want to use the toilet it will cost you 20p..... I've always found that highly amusing. It's about the equvalent of an English Service Station charging you £2.00 for a pee!!

Depending on where you are starting your journey, there are a number of bookshops in Old Town Riga where you can pick up a good road map.

Chorley Lancs
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riga to Liepaja - by road August 2006

Hi Goldcard:

Many thanks for your informed comments... they are much appreciated!

3. Re: Riga to Liepaja - by road August 2006

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, August 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Riga