We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning re pickpockets at Riga Central Market

Which Riga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Twickenham, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Warning re pickpockets at Riga Central Market

Have just returned from a very enjoyable long weekend in Riga, but just wanted to warn potential visitors that my travelling companion was pickpocketed by a very skilled pair of women who cornered her in a quiet part of the Central Market, under the pretext of selling cheap jumpers. I was walking ahead of her, and only became aware of the situation when she called out to me. I walked back, refused to buy or look at their wares and they rapidly vanished. Only afterwards did my friend realise that her handbag had been unzipped and her purse taken. If you are going there, be aware,keep your eyes open, and a hand on shoulder bags etc. They were very quick, appeared from nowhere and took us completely by surprise. Fortunately she had left most of her cash and credit cards in our hotel safe, so losses were minimal, but it was an unpleasant experience nonetheless,

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
443 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning re pickpockets at Riga Central Market

Sorry that happened to you. This unfortunately is a problem in many crowded places around the world - Spain, New York, London, Paris... Just have to keep a close eye on your belongings and your arm over the purse / handbag. It is sometimes annoying, especially when I walk around with my camera and want to take photos (I can't hold my camera up AND hold my purse protected at the same time), so have to be careful. But better safe than sorry.

2. Re: Warning re pickpockets at Riga Central Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, December 18, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Riga