We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning first trip to Riga - looking for some advice

UK
Level Contributor
249 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Planning first trip to Riga - looking for some advice

Firstly, apologies, i'm doing this on my phone and can't do paragraphs! We are considering a 3 night weekend rip to Riga in May, can anyone advise if weekends in Riga are full of stag/party party types or if it is still an enjoyable place for couples to visit and explore? Is it bes to stay in the Old Town to be close to bars, restaurants etc... Or would staying outwith (looking at Metropole Hotel) be ok? We like walking evrywhere so main concern is being safe walking back to hotel ar night. Any thoughts appreciated

UK
Level Contributor
249 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning first trip to Riga - looking for some advice

I meant Monika Central Hotel! Also loked at Teater as it appears to be close to the bus stop for airport bus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning first trip to Riga - looking for some advice

First - your message look fine, better than my iPad result sometimes.

There can be stag parties in Riga in the weekends...but seems to be

less than it used to be (thanks) - so there is plenty of space for couples

and other adults going out for a nice weekend.

Where to stay is up to what you like. In Old Town you have everything

just outside the hotel, but can have some noice. Staying in the Riga

center instead would be more quiet and cheaper...

I have not tried the Monica Centrum Hotel or City Hotel Teater, so

you must search for reviews. The AirBaltic shuttle have stop at Monica,

se my airport guide:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g274967-c187924/Riga:…

Monica is close to the Kronvalda park for nice walks and shortcut

to Old Town, also the area I would feel most safe to walk at nights,

even no bad experince around Brivibas iela.

UK
Level Contributor
249 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning first trip to Riga - looking for some advice

Great, thanks for the info!

buseurope.eu
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning first trip to Riga - looking for some advice

Monica hotel is located in so called "quiet center" or embassy part of Riga. It is not only close to the Old Town it is very close to the Jugendstil part of Riga ( Alberta street), and there are a lot of nice cafes and bistros there and three beautiful parks also. If you are choosing between Monica and Teater hotel, based on the location I would choose Monica. Teater hotel seems to be a bit more away from the center, although it is in the safe location as well

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning first trip to Riga - looking for some advice

I agree with previous posts regarding Monika hotel. Our organisation has a contract with them, our employees from other countries stay there regularly. We also use their restaurant facilities for corporate lunch. It is located in the nice place, surrounded by beautiful buildings. There is also a small cafe Sala very close to it, which offers tasty pastry.

UK
Level Contributor
249 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning first trip to Riga - looking for some advice

Thanks all, I think I'll go with Monika Hotel with the Baltic Shuttle. Any ideas you wish to share for must do activities while in Riga much appreciated! We like eating and drinking, at reasonably priced places and sightseeing in new cities. Are there any day trips we should do? This could be our only visit to Latvia so want to do as much as we can! Thanks!

Freetown, Sierra...
Level Contributor
57 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning first trip to Riga - looking for some advice

Riga is not huge, so no need to hurry around too much. The most popular things to see are the old town and the art noveau buildings. Some tourists like to see the Central Market (next to train station), but do not venture too far beyond it, a disreputable neighborhood is not far away. Going to opera might be a nice thing to do, tickets tend to be available, or at least see the opera house which is rather nice. If you like nature, you might venture to the Ethnographic Open Air museum (some old farm buildings in a forest). For a daytrip you can check out Sigulda, Gauja national park is right there as well. Seems a bit early for going to seaside (Jurmala), which is more of a summer thing.

Needham...
Level Contributor
6 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning first trip to Riga - looking for some advice

Going on a cruise with a stop in Riga. Should we take the tour offered by they cruise ship or can we either walk or get a cab to the old town.planning on doing Tallinn on our own.we are seasoned travelers but have not been to theses countries.

Riga, Latvia
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning first trip to Riga - looking for some advice

Doing Riga sightseeing on your own is easy as the port is nearby the city center and walking distance to the old town. Enjoy!

Edited: 12:52 am, April 17, 2013
Oslo, Norway
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning first trip to Riga - looking for some advice

Nightlife in riga

Many places where you can go

for 50 eur (entrance and 7-10 drinks, all night dance) ESSENTIAL, COYOTE FLY

for 100 eur STUDIO 69 but quality is better

Dont go to nightclub KLEOPATRA, Stabu street 15

cheat with bill, show ugly and cheap