We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in Latvia!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
8 days in Latvia!

My sister and I are travelling to Latvia for 8 days in January!

We are staying in Riga and 4 nights and Jurmala for 4 nights. I would like to see some other towns and cities outside Riga. I was thinking cities like Jelgava or Daugavpils - are they easily accessible from Riga? any other suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Latvia
Latvia
Europe
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days in Latvia!

I went to Cesis from Riga by bus, about 2 1/2 hours each way. Cesis has the ruins of a splendid medieval castle - see the reviews and photos here on Trip Advisor. The ruins are compact, easily seen and not overrun by tourists.

Mentioned in this post
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Dokka, Norway
Level Contributor
220 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days in Latvia!

In my opinion you should consider Sigulda. There you can check out Sigulda castle, and for example do bobsleigh - really fun!.

Sigulda is aprox 50 km away from Riga, and you can get there by train or bus.

Mentioned in this post
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 days in Latvia!

I would even consider going to Daugavpils in winter. First, it is quite far, approx.230 km and the train or bus ride takes quite a long time. Second, the main attraction of Latgale region, where Daugavpils is situated, is its pure nature, lakes, forests, rivers, but in winter the majority of them is not accessible.

I would advice Ventspils. But also, it is a summer destination and again not so close.

Cesus and Sigulda are the best options.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 days in Latvia!

Thank you so much for all your suggestions :)

I see these towns are all situated near or in Gauja National Park, will this be open in January? Is it free?

Also, what is the best way to get from Riga Airport? Are taxis expensive? I am travelling on a budget.

Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Gauja National Park
Gauja National Park
207 Reviews
Vidzeme Region, Latvia
Dokka, Norway
Level Contributor
220 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 days in Latvia!

From the airport to the center a taxi will cost you aprox. 8-9 LVL (10 english pounds). Bus is of course cheaper:

riga-airport.com/en/…public-transport

Gauja National Park is open every day. Here you can find more information about when the visitor center is open etc:

gnp.lv/en/opening-hours-gauja-np-visitor-cen…

Mentioned in this post
Gauja National Park
Gauja National Park
207 Reviews
Vidzeme Region, Latvia
Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
124 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 days in Latvia!

About Gauja National Park - it is "open" all the time, because it's huge territory that is under protection of law, including various nature values. But if you want to see something, you have quite limited choice when using public transportation - many objects are situated in places accessible only by car. From visitor centers mentioned in previous post only Gūtmaņa cave (in Sigulda) is close enough to be reached on foot; Līgatne Nature Trails can be option too, but public transportation is less convenient to get there. So, if you plan to use bus or train, choose Sigulda or Cēsis; look through previous posts about these locations, there are plenty of suggestions what to see and do there.

Mentioned in this post
Gauja National Park
Gauja National Park
207 Reviews
Vidzeme Region, Latvia
Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 days in Latvia!

Bus, shuttle or taxi from airport:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g274967-c187924/Riga:…

Moscow, Moscow...
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 days in Latvia!

…blogspot.ru/2013/01/baltic-sea-special.html

9. Re: 8 days in Latvia!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 23, 2014