We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much spending money to take to Riga?

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
How much spending money to take to Riga?

Hello,

We are off to Riga next weekend, Sunday to Wednesday. Our hotel is paid for, but wondered if someone could give us a rough idea of how much spending money to take? We will be changing our pounds to Lats at the post office before we go.

We will be having lunch and dinner 3 days, and maybe a few beers in the evenings, no big nights out!

If anyone could give us a rough idea, that would be great, Thank you!

Kat

Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much spending money to take to Riga?

Its really difficult to say as you never know what you want...maybe an ice or a coffee during the day. Do you eat pizza or only 3 course steak dinner.

Remember that there are ATM everywhere in Riga and that most restaurants take creditcards.

If you take a lunch at Lido and pasta dinner at ilPatio you would maybe spend 8 LVL including soda/beer and a beer later at 2 LVL per person.

Alternative a cafe lunch (maybe 5 LVL) and steak dinner (maybe 8 LVL) per person. There are some places where you can find a cheaper or more expensive lunch/dinner depending on what you like.

You can calculate on these prices and maybe search the forum for other price indications.

Wish you a nice trip!

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much spending money to take to Riga?

Totally agree with previous post. You can have a business lunch for 2-3 lats per person, but also a dinner in an expensive restaurant and pay 20 lats per person for 2 courses, dessert and wine.

Riga
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much spending money to take to Riga?

Hi, Kat!

As mentioned above, your expenses will depend on your wishes. Riga offers you a wide range of good cafes, pubs and restaurants. For a cafeteria with ordering at the counter, the meal will cost 2-3 lats. In a good mid-range pub with table service, a good main course will cost ~ 4/5 – 7/8 Lats; starters and desserts - ~ 2 – 3 Lats. Beer price (0,5 l) varies between 1,5 and 2,5 Lats. If you prefer fancy restaurants, be ready for 15 – 20, even 30 Lats for a main course.

Actually, there is a lot of options. I suggest trying Latvian traditional food at „Folkklubs Ala” (nice atmosphere and very reasonably priced beer and food), „Alus ordenis” or „Citi laiki”. „LIDO” offers good and cheap food. For an interesting expierence you can try „Garlic restaurant” – good mid – range prices and parsleys at the end of the meal. Good and more expensive, but a bit stiff (my opinion) places are restaurants „Melnie mūki”, „Neiburgs” and „Kaļķu vārti”. I have never been there but I have heard good comments about „Steiku haoss” – in the middle of Old Town (prices - above average).

Some places are smart – they offer cheap food and pricey beer or conversely - pricey food and cheap beer..

If you wish something international, you can choose Hesburger or Mcdonalds A Big mac, 0,4 l drink and french fries will cost you 2,70 Lats.

Possible additional charges in Riga – ticket in a public transport 0,70 Lats; taxi to/from airport – 8 – 10 Lats; top – view from St.Peter’s church – 3 Lats; train ticket (there and back) to Jurmala (Majori station) - 1,85 Lats.

I hope this helps. Have a nice time in Riga!

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much spending money to take to Riga?

Thank you very much for your replies! I have just ordered my travel money and have budgeted for £50 a day, thanks once again!

5. Re: How much spending money to take to Riga?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:42 pm, June 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Riga