We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back, for IrishPete

Which Riga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
196 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back, for IrishPete

Just returned from Riga and did not encounter any trouble at all. Our group of 8 stayed in the Reval Lativaj which is just outside the old town but within easy walking distance, if you don’t fancy walking it is only 2-3 lts (3-4 euro) from a plentiful supply of taxis directly outside the hotel.

The hotel is very nice for the price we paid which was only 75 euro per night (internet special) for a twin room for 1-2 people which also included breakfast, choice of hot and cold food with varied menus. Rooms are quite clean and nice view of the old town, we were upgraded to these rooms as we had just booked the standard rooms which are the same only no view of the old town. The reason we were upgraded was we had emailed the hotel to ask about the Skyline bar as it is closed due to renovations and that we were looking forward to the view from the bar so hence the free upgrade with view of town.

The hotel also has a night club called Voodoo with a young crowd and is open till 5 or 6. Drinks in here are dearer and there is a cover charge, we were charged 3 lats the first night ( only arrived at 4am) and 6 lats the second night per person even though were were staying in the hotel, there are go go dancers in the nightclub but they are very very young !!!

The hotel has a lobby bar which is on the ground floor and very spacious and serves both food and drink at a reasonable price, a price of a local pint of beer in the lobby bar was 1.5 lats (2 euro) while in two of the other pubs we went to it was 1.25 in Dickens which I have to say must have the most unfriendliest barman I have ever encountered, food is also good there. The other pub we visited was Delacys which is far better than Dickens and served with a smile and also a cheaper pub for both food and drink. As our stay was so short it was only Hotel, Voodoo, Dickens and DeLacys for us.

We did go to a strip club on Saturday night but for the life of me I cant think of the name of it. We were lucky enough to have 2 Lithuanians with us from our job in Dublin who were able to ask the taxi drivers about clubs close to the hotel. On the advice of LativianBoss we tried Club 69, but when we got there, there was a huge crowd outside so we went back to the hotel. We went out again after awhile after one of our friends was taking to a local in the hotel and said we should go to a club called Cleopatras, so off in the taxi again (2 lats each time). The driver of the taxi told us he would wait while we checked if we wanted to go in. This had a cover charge of 10 lts and a Private dance was 40 lts, we did not like the look of the place or the prices so driver suggested a place just around the corner from there and took us there. 10 lts in, 22 lts for a private dance and there was a constant striptease going on. It was 2 lts for a pint in here but be warned that they may try to charge you for the same drink twice, we let it go the first time it happened and we told the waitress that it would not happen again as we were there for a bit of fun. Just another thing about this place, service is great with drinks etc and lovely looking girls but as soon as a girl sits down beside you the waitress is over asking you to buy her a drink which can get annoying as the night goes on, so if you don’t want to buy a drink, just say no as most of us were there just to see the show but the younger ones did have a private dance. The younger ones also checked out one or two of the places that Lativian Boss suggested and entrance fee was 10-15 lts, private dance 35-45 lts, so the place we found on Saturday night was very good, sorry I have not got the name, I will ask one of the others and get back to you. As Lativian boss suggested, DON’T go to the strip clubs that offer u free drink etc, you will get ripped off and the places are not nice. If they keep following you to get you to go in, say NO, if that does not work then just ignore them and they WILL get the message.

One thing I will say, was, we found the locals were not very friendly, while we still enjoyed the trip and the experience of it, at 125 euro per person for flight, taxes and 2 Nights B&B, it was great value, but NONE of our group have said they are likely to return.

Hope this was of some help to you or any others that may read this and that you have a great time. Just a ward of warning if you are flying Ryanair. The Lithuanians we had with us were a couple and they were meeting friends also in Latvia and had taken a case with them to bring items from Dublin for them. If there are couples, make sure they split the weight of their luggage into two bags as Ryanair will charge, in their case they were charged 40 euro but did not make the same mistake on the way home. Ohhh by the way, it is 8 lts from Airport to hotel by taxi.

Dublin
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back, for IrishPete

Thanks and fair play for all the tips. The trip is still ages away but I will keep your advise close to hand.

In general outside of the lap dancing clubs how did you find the bars were in terms of:

1. Price - is local ale crap.

2. Shorts - vodka etc - how much

3. Pubs - Big or small

4. At night would you have to go to a night club or are there disco bars?

5. Are the crowds mixed or just full of blokes?

6. Would you recommend the hotel then as being cheap, cheerful & clean etc.

7. Did you do anything during the day eg play pool, darts, bob sleigh, shooting etc etc

I don't mean for you to answer them all at once so do so in your own time!

Thanks again

SA1
London
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back, for IrishPete

aha,Dikens and the misreable bar man..Things dont change,however there is a good guy there as well....and as i knwo a few of the waitresses will be seeing them in a few days

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back, for IrishPete

Irishpete,here's my thoughts.I tried several of the local beers,all of them fine,I drink stella at home.Average price about 1.20 lats per pint for local beer,can get well known brands too,but more expensive.xpect to pay under 4 lats for pint and vodka coke.Best meal we had Il Patio Italian on kalku iela,doesn't look much from outside,but food gorgeous and cheap.Also had fab set lunch at steak house dome.Didn't enjoy Raja's indian,expensive and latvian version of faulty towers,belly dancer hot though!.I found it slightly odd that most places in old town were bar/restaurant/club combined rather than separate.We spent most of our boozing time in De Laceys.Didn't feel comfortable in Paddy Whelans.There is a pool/snooker place near de laceys,nb club I think.We walked past it several times,thinking it was members only,cheap drinks too.We loved Riga,hopefully you will too!.e