We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riga on 7th of January

London
1 post
Save Topic
Riga on 7th of January

Hello, I'm planning a trip to Riga. I initially wanted to go on the weekend of 7th of January, but have been made aware that Christmas is celebrated on this date (in addition to 24th of December).

Will stores, shops and restaurants be open as usual, or will the town be more or less closed this weekend? Are there any public celebrations or festivals that are nice for tourists this weekend?

Basically what I want to know if this is a good time to go, or if I should plan for a week later.

Mentioned in this post
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Riga on 7th of January

On 7th of January every places will be open as usualy.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Riga on 7th of January

That is the perfect time. The prices will not be as high as in late December and you will still get a lot of the Christmas atmosphere as visitors from Russia celebrate their Christmas and New Year in this time, so Riga is prepared. I suggest that you find a good concert to enjoy your stay even more. There is usually something good in the Riga Dome.

Mentioned in this post
Russia
Russia
Europe
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riga on 7th of January

Not only visitors from Russia, but also local Russian Orthodox people celebrate Christmas on the 7th of January. So, there still be some Christmas feel around the city. Besides all kind of sales will start, if you are interested in some shopping.

Mentioned in this post
Russia
Russia
Europe
4. Re: Riga on 7th of January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 28, 2012