We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soviet souvenirs

Which Riga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Soviet souvenirs

I want to get some soviet souvenirs. Things like Red Army hats etc.

Where is the best place to do this? In the Central Market?

Which day should I go if I am going to be in Riga from Fri - Sun?

London
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Soviet souvenirs

Soviet souvenirs....go to russia better..Latvia...is not a Soviet state..like all thing..used 2 be no more....allzz gone,,,

if u coming u should buy..Latvian traditional souvenirs......clothes,food,drinks..but not look 4 Russian..stuff....we hate that...all Latvians....;((((((((((((

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Soviet souvenirs

Well, to be honest, it is only souvenirs and that. I have seen alot of it in Prague. I would also like to buy some nice Latvian souvenirs too.

But Latvia was part of the USSR so I do not want Russian things. Just Soviet things which reflect Latvia as part of the former eastern bloc.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Soviet souvenirs

Hi

We found an old market selling all sots of junk, old russian medals, broken clocks, bits of cars, soviet uniforms etc,. If you walk down to the river front from the square where the tourist information is, turn left and walk along by the river for a while, past the main market in the aircraft hangers, under the bridge and a little further along is where this market is.

Just watch your wallet while you are there.

Have a lovely time, we loved Riga and will be revisiting again.

Jackie

London
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Soviet souvenirs

ok ok buy..but don,t forget about latvian.....goods.....and....rest...

enjoy..

RIGA, Latvia
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Soviet souvenirs

Well half of Europa was occupied by nazis, I therefore dont go to France to buy swastikas. I try to appreciate France for what it is. Latvia and Riga is much more than former eastern block. We have hundreds of years culture. Most of what you will see in Riga was build long before communism was even invented. So if you want to see realities of soviet life, Moscow or Minsk are really much better places. Don't come and don't let dissapoint you. Division of Europe was a tragedy, thanks god it didn't last too long, somehow some people have problems to accept that it is over and move on.

Before buying soviet souvenier I suggest you to go to museum of occupation. It is on the Town Hall square in the Old Town, entrance free.www.occupationmuseum.lv It is one of the most popular mnuseums in city. It tells the story of 50 years of soviet occupation - many crimes have been done and thousands of peopel killed and deported, mostly innocent men, women, children. And if even than you want to buy soviet souveniers, don't tell it to any Latvian! We don't like somebody beeing amused by our sufferings.

London
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Soviet souvenirs

U wright John!!! absolutely wright....! thanks 2 our comments...maybe 1 day these English....Sir,s will change their minds about Latvia...and stop us calling Russians....and Latvia-Russia.....

Living here in London..no 1 know,s the place very few.....aaaaaa Latvia------Russiaaaa i know..they say...

U know what i mean....bulshit........

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Soviet souvenirs

I have not described Latvia using the word Russia once!

Soviet Union. Soviet Union. Soviet Union of which Latvia was a part.

Ireland is a part of the European Union. A union which is dominated by France, Germany, Italy and the UK. Does that mean that people should not buy anything with European symbolism when in Ireland?

Americans shouldn't buy those sets of Euro coins because the Euro is administered in Frankfurt?

You should stop being so precious and admit the truth!

London
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Soviet souvenirs

Ireland is a part of the European Union.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latvia is a part of EU TOO!!!!!

And was always part of Europe...always..not Soviet...

Read about ocupation u will understand....dam.... irish.....!!!!!

blackburn
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Soviet souvenirs

looks like youve touched a raw nerve smick, lets just draw a line under this topic, lol. ive seen loads of soviet stuff on ebay, or is that what its for? lol

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Soviet souvenirs

Hi

I have visited the museum of occupation and been shocked and horrified by what the Soviets and Nazis did to your country, but I have also wandered around the tatty markets where some of the rubbish they left behind is on sale.

I have seen goods that date back to the second world war, Nazi medals and uniforms, as well as Soviet pre 1990 goods which were on general sale.

I have bought nothing and nor would I, but it is interesting to see which way the Soviet technology was going compared to the west and in general the stuff you had no choice but to buy was junk.

It actually gives us a better picture of what that kind of communism can do and emphasises the reasons why it must not happen again.

I have been amazed by the resiliance of the Baltic peoples, of how you have reclaimed your own countries from tyranny and moved on and integrated into a world which before 1990 was closed to so many.

You as a nation are to be applauded for your fantastic achievements, but what happened to you happened and there are still a lot of Russians left behind who scrape a living selling the junk you want out of your country.

Of course you are part of the West and a full member state of the EU, nobody wants to deny this but give Smick a break he only wanted to buy a few souveniers not start a war, we often hurt someones sensibilities but thats all part of free speech.

Jackie

Get answers to your questions about Riga