We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

riga airport

london
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
riga airport

How much shall I pay for a cab from Riga airport to Riga old town? I'm thinking to rent a car but I'm worried about parking in central Riga.

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: riga airport

Parking in the Old Town is a nightmare, even local don't do it, only if they live or work there.

Taxi is up to 10 Lats, even less. There are red cabs and Baltic Taxi operating in the airport.

Helsinki
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: riga airport

Parking in the Old Town? That's rediculous, no one needs that (apart from those glitzy weirdos who do). The Big Parking Issue in Riga is not about parking in the Old Town. It's about parking in the whole of the central part of the city.

In fact, if you don't mind paying an extra lats or two, you can find indoors parking lots certain strategically located in the central area. Just some tips:

- At Jekaba Kazarmas on Meierovica Bulvaris as a perfect base to enter the Old Town.

- Under the Reval Hotel Latvija as a base for tours in the area of Brivibas, Terbatas, Elizabetes.

- At the Gertrudes Baznica (church) on Gertrudes/Baznicas corner, which is also quite central.

There are more both in- and outdoors parkings.

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: riga airport

Ive been to Riga about 12 times now in the last 5 years.

Public transport is too good to rent a car. I think it is 0.30Lats per journey on the tram, trolleybus or bus.

A taxi should only cost around 10 lats (about £12) from an official red cab from outside arrivals. Do not take any other cab from the airport and ask your hotel to call for a cab if you insist on using one in the city since some taxi drivers (quite a large proportion actually) like to rip tourists off unfortunatley.

Like the previous post suggests, parking is at a premium in Riga and may areas of the Old Town are pedestrionised. In my opinion, dont bother with the hire car.

If you want to travel out to places such as Jurmala and Sigulda, cheap public transport is available to there too.

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: riga airport

Public transport (trams, trolleybuses and buses) actually cost now 0,70 LVL, if you buy the ticket from the driver and cheaper, if you purchase 5,10 or 20 rides card. 4,75 Ls for 10 rides and 9 Ls for 20.

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: riga airport

Ouch! I didnt realised it had gone up so much since my last visit in Christmas 2008. It seems rather expensive for some latvians this price although by UK standards its still quite cheap.

SOUTH WALES
Level Contributor
20 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: riga airport

The hotel I have booked in Old Town Riga can arrange a taxi to collect us when we arrive and their cost is 15LVL, so reading this & other posts on Riga Taxi's I'm thinking we'll be better off jumping in a taxi outside the airport! if it will cost no more than 10 LVL!!

Edited: 8:23 am, October 06, 2010
Wigan
Level Contributor
118 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: riga airport

walk 200 yards across the road and a number 22 bus will take you to the city centre for 0.70lts :)

Wigan
Level Contributor
118 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: riga airport

hi can you please tell me where you can purcase the 20 ride bus passes... can you buy at the airport?

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: riga airport

Hi redqueeg

At the airport you can buy e-tickets at ticket machine or at "Latvijas Pasts" office or at kiosks of "Plus Punkts" and "Narvesen".

Wigan
Level Contributor
118 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: riga airport

thanks fonsanta

we go often enough to make it worth buying .... should have done it 3 years ago when we started going to riga regular :)