We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hello to everyone, who plans, intends, wishes to visit Riga and Latvia!

From this forum I understood that many problems that occur with fellows-travellers occur from what can be called "blind traveling". When you just get a cheap plane ticket, book a hotel through the net and go. I also do that - and, must admit, successfully. But I also have to admit, that my dear home country is not to be visited like that. Many people here still want to make and make money from ripping off tourists.

I wish to do something good to my country, which is beautiful and not that bad, and that's why I offer my advice and help to everyone, who wish to see the good parts of Latvia. I'm sorry I can't be helpful to those, who come here for stag parties, since I don't visit local bars. My offer is more for those, who like nature, maybe museums, seeing the city and country!

Will be glad to answer your questions!

Kind regards,

Eva

676 replies to this topic
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
73 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
481. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Thanks very much. I will pursue the tour guide. I appreciate your willingness to answer our questions. I am not finished planning the Latvia part of our trip and may contact you again. Thanks! Christina

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
482. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

I really appreciate your super prompt reply, which is very helpful. Please let me ask another question: if I take a taxi, then I'll have to also pay for the ticket to enter the Old Town, apart from the taxi fare itself? Thank you very much. Pat Nonsee

Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
483. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

@ PatNonsee

Yes there is a fee for entrance by car/taxi to old town.

But ask to stop outside then you will have a walk of

only 2 min.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
484. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

@EastwoodDK Your kind advice, being as super rapid as the previous time, is very helpful to us in terms of savings. We'll do that. I'm so grateful!

Pat Nonsee

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
485. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

I'm staying in Riga for a couple of nights. NJust want to know the following:

-Average price of a days bike hire? Any interesting places in and around Riga I can visit that may be off the tourist trail?

-Average price of beer/coffee?

-Average price of a decent meal (any traditional Latvian dishes you can suggest)?

Thanks in advance for offering your advice.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
14 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
486. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

hello eva please could you confirm

the currency lat or euro?

best way to get from airport to old town for 9 people

many thanks

487. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:37 am, March 13, 2014
Edited: 7:37 am, March 13, 2014

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
488. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

danw649, yes, this is true, the only currency now used in Latvia is EUR.

boca raton
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
489. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Thank you for offering to help. We'll be arriving by cruise ship and would like to visit the old town, Jewish ghetto and central market. We'd also like to see Sigulda. Can we do the first three things by foot and taxi.

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
490. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Yes, you can definitely visit first three things by foot. You do not need a taxi. By jewish ghetto you probably mean the place in the district Spikeri, it is very close to the central market, but the market is just across the road and railways from the Old Town.

To visit Sigulda you need at least half a day, but it is done best as a day trip.

Reply to: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Riga