We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lakes or rivers to go swimming

L Z
London, United...
6 posts
1 review
Lakes or rivers to go swimming

Hi,

could anyone advise me on places such as lakes and rivers where it is possible to go swimming?

I am looking for places that are preserved but not secluded and where there would be other swimmers or visitors.

I will be visiting during the summer. Also I will likely be relying on public transport, so accessibility by bus, train + walk is a plus.

Any tips or links highly appreciated!

Thanks,

l

Copenhagen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Lakes or rivers to go swimming

Maybe you should reveal in which part of Latvia you

consider to stay?

L Z
London, United...
6 posts
1 review
2. Re: Lakes or rivers to go swimming

Hi EastwoodDK, I will start from Riga, but am in the process of planning which regions to visit next. I have no idea if swimming in lakes or rivers is popular in Latvia and whether water quality permits it. I've found info related to water sports but not swimming, so thought I'd ask here for some tips.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Lakes or rivers to go swimming

Its very popular to swim in lakes and rivers.

I will come back with some more info.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: Lakes or rivers to go swimming

First part will be Riga:

Latvians love to swim, so there is plenty of posibilities.

The obvious is to go to the nice sand beaches at Jurmala.

But now you can also swim in the Daugava river, as they made

swim area just opposite the Old Town. The second easy place

is to go to Mezaparks where you have the Kizesers lake and

even Jugla beside that.

Then you have the big Babites lake in Jurmala.

And many smaller lakes around Riga, but they are

more for locals with cars.

Edited: 4:16 am, November 15, 2014
Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
868 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Lakes or rivers to go swimming

Swimming in lakes, rivers and ponds is perfectly acceptable. Latvian swimming season is short, so if the weather is fine and the water ok people swim everywhere. That said, there are some things to watch out. Rivers are usually safe, apart from the Gauja which is notorious for underwater currents and changing river bed. Stay away from the Gauja or at least take care. Another serious concern is cyanobacteria (zilaļģe in Latvian). In hot, stuffy weather this algae can take over lakes and ponds and is a serious health hazard (its is very toxic and toxins are absorbed even through skin). Watch out for health hazard warnings in official swimming places. Further afield check out how clear the water is. If the whole surface is green and overgrown with algae it is wise to stay on the shore.

That said, most waters are swimmable in summer, and local population will have nothing against swimmers or swimming themselves in one many natural or artificial waters.

6. Re: Lakes or rivers to go swimming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 23, 2015