We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viking Line or Tallink?

Which Tallinn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Viking Line or Tallink?

Hi all,

I will be going from Tallinn to Helsinki in early December. I have found two morning departures from these ferry companies and I wonder which one is better?

Viking Line: departs 0800 and arrives 1040, on MS Viking XPRS

Tallink: departs 0730 and arrives 0930, on MS Star

Both trips are 19EUR and with similar timings, I would like to know which company offers better services and any insights and/or experiences on the specific vessels would be very nice!

Thank you guys in advance!

Calvin

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viking Line or Tallink?

I use both many times a year. The Tallink ferries are slightly posher but really Viking has more than enough amenities (bars, restaurants, cafés, even a small dance hall), especially for a short trip like this. The main advantages of Viking for a visitor are that their terminal is within walking distance of Helsinki city centre and the Viking route gives you a magnificent view of Helsinki's old harbour with a close pass of Suomenlinna island fortress, while Tallink uses a modern, industrial harbour a tram ride from the interesting parts of town. There's very little difference in the location of terminals at the Tallinn end.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viking Line or Tallink?

You're welcome.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Viking Line or Tallink?

Hi JohntheFinn I am really sorry - I thought I have replied you for some reason.

I actually took your advice and went ahead to book the Viking Line ticket to Helsinki. Thank you a lot for your suggestions and hope Helsinki and its weather will treat me well!! :)

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viking Line or Tallink?

Glad to hear it's plain sailing for you so far. The view of Suomenlinna is on the left side of the Viking ferry about 20 minutes before arrival in Helsinki. It's the best view you can get of the King's Gate and nearby fortifications. The rest of Helsinki harbour is worth seeing as you also get a grandstand view of most of central Helsinki's historical buildings and many picturesque small islands.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Viking Line or Tallink?

Thanks for the tip - I will definitely look for the Suomenlinna as I am planning to visit it during my stay in Helsinki! I wonder though, since I am taking a suitcase with me would that be quite inconvenient to navigate on the ship or will there be any kind of luggage hold on-board?

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Viking Line or Tallink?

There is storeroom (closed during the journey), and lockers - these take 2-euro coins, I think, so have some change handy.

In Helsinki, it's at least a brisk 20-minute walk to the King's Gate from the waterbus terminal on Suomenlinna. Dress warmly as the islands are pretty exposed.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Viking Line or Tallink?

Thank you JohntheFinn. That is great news to know there will be storerooms and lockers on-board. That way I could tour myself around the ship and take loads of pictures!

And I will be going there in December....so I would be insane not to dress warmly ;) haha!!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Viking Line or Tallink?

Wear layers - it's plenty warm indoors in these parts.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Viking Line or Tallink?

Will do :) just so we're talking about the weather...does it rain/snow a lot in the Baltics during December in general? Or will it be just cold but dry?

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Viking Line or Tallink?

That depends on the weather... Ideally it can be -5C and sunny with no wind, but it can just as easily be a bit above freezing with wind-blown rain. Gloves and headgear covering your ears are essential.