We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Tallinn

Which Tallinn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Tallinn

Hi All,

Finally we are coming to Tallinn, second week of December for 3 days. We plan to take Lux express lounge from Riga to Tallinn. Should we book the bus ahead?

Also they give us three choice of bus drop to Tallinn. Which drop point would be near our hotel, My City Hotel?

We plan to take the old town walking tour, explore the area, We like good views so we will go to platforms on Toompea Hill and try the view from St. Olav's church.

We plan to take a day trip to Helsinki by ferry.

I appreciate all your help, advice and tips as this is our first visit to Tallinn.

Many Thanks in advance

Diva

Norway
Level Contributor
159 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Tallinn

The best drop point for the bus will be at the bus station on (Lastekodu street) that will be about 3,5 km,I think., from your hotel. From there you can take taxi or bus to the Old Town and when you're in the Old Town it's just a short walk to your hotel.

If you're staying only 3 days I would have skipped the daytrip to Helsinki as it's lot to see and do in Tallinn and it's cheaper than Helsinki. If you got time you should use at least a half day at Kalemaja area right outside the Old Town.

There are alot of cafes and restaurants but some of my favourite are: Bogapott at Pikk Jalg, Reval cafe on Vene street (big pot outside), Klaus kohvik in Kalamaja area to mention just some. But look at www.inyourpocket.com

to get some ideas.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Tallinn

Thank you very much Asterix66, for your valuable help and advice, We will take a taxi to our hotel from the coach station.

We will spend half a day at Kalemaja area right outside the Old Town.

Once again thank you for the tips for places to eat.

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
560 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Tallinn

Be advised that Oleviste church tower is sadly closed in winter season. You may consider a (expensive) drink on Radisson Blue hotel's top floor.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Tallinn

Thank you so much EE-Wover for information about the church.You saved us journey and we will go to Radisson Blue hotel top floor for a drink or two..

Any more tips or help is very much appreciated.

Diva

Estonia
Level Contributor
501 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Tallinn

If the weather is not very cloudy could also take TV tower visit and there's 174 m restaurant and viewing platform. Nice 1-1/2 day trip outside centre.

Could also use Hop on Hop off or regular bus to get there.

And if you are in Kalamaja check also Maritime museum, it is nice and has lot of exhibits and huge U-boat from 1930-s, walking distance from Old Town

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
560 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Tallinn

The maritime museum is Seaplane Harbour, not Fat Margaret (both are part of the Estonian Maritime Museum).

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Tallinn

Thank you v much Citybike for your advice, we will take the ho ho bus and try and visit the Tv tower and restaurant. We will also visit the Maritime museum and I would love to see the U-boat.

Once again, Thank you EE-Wover for all your help.

You all have been wonderful and we look forward to our trip to Tallinn.

Many Thanks

Diva

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Tallinn

P.S I am coming with my daughter, will it be fine for two ladies on our own to be out late at night? We will take taxi back to our hotel.

Edited: 5:15 am, November 10, 2013
Norway
Level Contributor
159 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in Tallinn

Yes, it shouldn't be any problems for two ladies to be out late at night. Just use your common sense (don't walk alone in dark streets) and watch out for pickpockets, espesially at Viru street. I've been travelling alone to Tallinn many times and never felt unsafe, I'm a male though. If you go to clubs in Old Town there will be walking distance back to your hotel, no need for taxi.

Level Contributor
429 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days in Tallinn

HI,

Thought I would add my penny of thoughts to your trip...

I would pre-book your Lux express, as its Tallinn christmas market and the town will be totally full at weekends.

Also snow is predicted as of next week, so things start to get booked quicker and some people will take buses and not drive instead.

regarding my city hotel, i would write to them if staying over weekend and ask for a room at back of hotel, not a room facing hollywood nightclub.... Unless you plan to be there yourself ;)

Nice views from Toompea hill and other view points there. all very close to your hotel. I would recommend walking at the base of the old town wall, railway station side and walking around the old town walls. can get some amazing pictures of the different building and structures....

re views:

Have a drink on top floor of swiss otel, if you want a pre evening drink. in winter time its better than SAS radission as hotel closes there patio when snow comes so no accidents happen (slipping over).

I would go to the seaplane harbour musuem and they also have a titanic show opening there on friday the 15th of November until the end of March 2014. I have been speaking to the builders of this and production team and its meant to be amazing.

I will be going there this weekend.

Night clubs, hollywood is oppersite your hotel, Vabank and privee around the corner and teater is across the road from freedom Sq, meant to do very good now days...

I think teater or vabank, may be the club for u..

If coming over weekend 100% pre-book, its christmas market and restaurants will be full every friday and saturday... if you need any suggestions please write and i will advice.

re ferry (helsinki) I would see what the weather is like a book last minute, ok will cost 8 Euros max a ticket more, but whom wants to travel in strong winds (during a long weekend break)...

OK there is my piece of pie...

all the best DIVA ;)

need any further advice or help while here dont hesitate to ask.

Tallinn Hotels :)