We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is Midsummer in Tallinn's old town?

Which Tallinn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seljord, Norway
Level Contributor
51 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
How is Midsummer in Tallinn's old town?

I'm going to Tallinn June 21st-26th and will be staying in the old town. Really worried about everything being closed on St. johns Eve on the 23rd and the next day 24th. Is this the case? Will restaurants and bars close aswell?

Seljord, Norway
Level Contributor
51 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is Midsummer in Tallinn's old town?

Also, I've read about the celebration at the open air museum on st. johns eve. Is there any food and drinks at this event?

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is Midsummer in Tallinn's old town?

Check the Open Museum site for information:

http://www.evm.ee/id/400/

The Kolu Inn is a pub where normally you get food and drinks. There will be a free bus from the old town, check the link above.

Seljord, Norway
Level Contributor
51 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is Midsummer in Tallinn's old town?

Great info! Thanks a lot!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,507 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is Midsummer in Tallinn's old town?

When I was there a couple of years ago, food and drinks were available in several places. It's their big day of the year and they make the most of it.

Seljord, Norway
Level Contributor
51 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is Midsummer in Tallinn's old town?

How was it the old town? Were shops and restaurants closed?

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,507 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is Midsummer in Tallinn's old town?

I can't remember to be honest, but I must have had lunch somewhere.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
260 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is Midsummer in Tallinn's old town?

The small shops in the old town are definitely closed on 23rd and 24th but I'm not sure about shopping centers. Google "Viru keskus" and "Rocca al Mare keskus" for excample. They might be open some limited hours on those days. The restaurants and especially pubs in the old town should be open. Anyway "Jaanipäev" or St John's day is not a day to be in the city for the locals. You should get the buss or taxi to some big open air party/concert. Found this one (the site in estonian, try to google translate). There are some bands playing, food, drinks etc and you see the real StJohn bonfire feast piletilevi.ee/eng/…

The one in the Open air museum in Rocca al Mare is more for tourists and more "historic" I guess.. About 13 km from the city center there is Viimsi open air museum and they always have a traditional St Johns feast for the locals. There's pub, and bonfire and usually a band playing etc. Enjoy :)

8. Re: How is Midsummer in Tallinn's old town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 20, 2014