We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viking Mini Cruise disembarkation?

Which Tallinn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Viking Mini Cruise disembarkation?

Hi,

Please help us with this issue:

We are trying to book with Vikingline for our trip from Helsinki to Tallinn. The price for a mini cruise is much cheaper than a one way trip (56e for two A cabins vs 266e). The only thing that we concern is that Vikingline confirmed it is not possible to get off the ship. Has anyone tried this before and been allowed to get off the ship?

Thanks so much in advance!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viking Mini Cruise disembarkation?

I've done this several times, but not in the past two years. It is an overnight-type cruise with the ship staying in Tallinn, right? The door were open in the morning and I just went ashore. No one checked or asked anything.

If the ship is in Tallinn harbour I believe it is legally impossible for Viking to refuse to allow you to leave. Just make sure you debark well ahead of the scheduled departure time.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viking Mini Cruise disembarkation?

Thanks so much John :)

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viking Mini Cruise disembarkation?

*raises hat*

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viking Mini Cruise disembarkation?

I came back just to say that I DID IT :D. Apparently if you book on the English website of Viking Line, you will not see their offers for discounted cruises. Change to Estonian or Finnish and you will get much lower prices for the same cabin types.

Anyways, I bought an A cabin for Tallinn mini cruise which was only 60e, so I woke up in the morning, got out of the ship at the same time as other people (around 7.30am), stay the night in a hotel in Toompea, and came back to Helsinki the next morning with a regular passenger ticket.

In case you want to do the same, it IS still possible :)

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Viking Mini Cruise disembarkation?

Great! Told you it would work.

By the way (since you have an address in Finland), it's worth joining the Viking Club. You can do this online and the card comes in the mail in a few days. There are lots of cheap offers - in the off season, you can even get a trip to Stockholm with cabin for €0. Yes, that's zero euros.

6. Re: Viking Mini Cruise disembarkation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 02, 2014