We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open air museum

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
Open air museum

I'd like to do a day trip to Tallin from Helsinki in June and I'd like to include the visit to open air museum besides visiting the old town if that is possible. Could someone please tell me if that is doable in just one day and if so could you please explain me the fastest and the esiest way from D-terminal (the docking point of Tallink Silja line) to open air museum and possibly also the esiest way from open air museum back to the old town?

Thank you in advance

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Open air museum

You could walk to the old town from the ferry terminal, as it's close by. Then walk through the old town to Balti Jaam, the train station where you would catch bus #21 to the Open Air Museum in Rocca al Mare. Here's a map of the transit system showing the route

http://soiduplaan.tallinn.ee/#plan/21102-1/59.43116;24.63711/map,,,1/en

You can use Google maps to show the walk to Balti Jaam (not sure why google has it labelled in Russian).

http://goo.gl/maps/R0wG

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Open air museum

There's information about public transportation here

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g274958-s303/Tallinn:E…

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Open air museum

Thank you gxp so much for all the detailed information!

May I just ask about the walking part of the route if it's possible to 'shorten' the way walking through Rannamae tee on the way from D-terminal to Balti jaam? (On my way back from museum I'll use exactly your walking route as I'll head to the Old town)

Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
984 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Open air museum

Easily possible for a day trip. I think you are right to go to the museum straight away - walk 15 - 20 mins from the ferry to the train station and catch the bus. Then, on the way back, you have several options for getting to the city centre to explore old town: trolley buses No 6 and 7 and buses 21 and 22. This info is available on their website.

http://www.evm.ee

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Open air museum

Thank you Oravad for your information, I wasn't sure how long it approximately takes to walk from from the ferry to the train station...

I also notice that on the way back from the museum to the Old town the nearest bus stop is actually Zoo bus stop and I guess that all the trolley buses 6, 7 and buses 21, 22 stops at that one.

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Open air museum

Not sure why the link on #1 stopped working but here's the map showing Bus route #21 again

…tallinn.ee/#bus/21/a-b/21105-6/map/en

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Open air museum

Thank you gpx for all your explanations once again that's really helpful for me, now I'm ready to go :-)

The link on #1 can still be opened indirectly but this was so nice of you, thank you!

Estonia
Level Contributor
501 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Open air museum

from your profile picture I would recommend to take a bike to Open Air Museum. It's 7-8 km from Port and there almost all the way cycling route. Bring your own bike or rent one.

Definitely will have more freedom and Open Air museum is big territory, eaiest to look around is by bike.

My favourite in the museum is Old-New village shop and vintage stuff they sell there, from candies to beer

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Open air museum

Thank you citybike for an excellent advice, it's really good to know that there's cycling route all the way to the museum.

I'm only not sure weather my travel companions will share my opinion on preffered way of transport but for just in case could you please tell me where is the nearest point to hire the bike starting from D-terminal?

Old-New village shop already seems interesting to me, thanx for the tip! :-)

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
574 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Open air museum

There is also a bus sponsored by a big shopping center close to the open air museum which is free. From the shopping mall it's about a 15 minutes walk to the entrance of the museum, but you'll save time because the bus doesn't stop almost anywhere else.

www.roccaalmare.ee/about-us/?article_id=10840