We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tallinn-Helsinki-Tallinn Ferry

London, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
Tallinn-Helsinki-Tallinn Ferry

Visiting Tallinn 2nd till the 6th April, and would like to make a day trip to Helsinki by ferry. I've had a look online and Viking seem to be cheaper than Tallink or Lindaline. I'm just wondering whether it's cheaper to book now online for 30 euros return, or wait until we get there and book then. If its best to wait until we get there, where do we buy the tickets from? Hope you can help!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,087 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tallinn-Helsinki-Tallinn Ferry

Viking Line has had a €5 fee for booking on the spot and I think still does, so I'd go ahead and book it online now. That price is good. Besides, there's sometimes a rush for tickets on the first warm weekend in spring.

Surrey, UK
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tallinn-Helsinki-Tallinn Ferry

Hi Oliver K, I am going to Tallinn next week and am also trying to book a day trip to Helsinki. The other forum posts says that Viking is a good company to go with and that the ferry terminal is walkable from the city centre - ideal if you are there for just the day.

The ferry price you got is really cheap, can I ask where you found that price online?

Thanks

Jennifer

London, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tallinn-Helsinki-Tallinn Ferry

thanks john!! i will be booking it this week or next then online.

www.vikingline.fi

hope you have a great time!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,087 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tallinn-Helsinki-Tallinn Ferry

By the way, I just booked a day trip from Helsinki to Tallinn for €0. Yes, that's zero euros. Also an overnight return to Stockholm, with cabin each way, for €12. Viking tries to fill up with passengers during the off season so they can make a few bucks selling them food and drink. I don't think these special offers are on Viking's English-language website. You could try the Finnish version, look for Punaiset lähdöt (their name for last-minute offers) and use google translate or some such.

London, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tallinn-Helsinki-Tallinn Ferry

so you booked that from the finnish version website? do you think this sort of offer will be around in the first week of april?

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,087 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tallinn-Helsinki-Tallinn Ferry

Uh - I only ever use the Finnish version. They're not advertising later departures, but I can tell you I got a cheapo trip with Viking in early April last year.

Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
987 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tallinn-Helsinki-Tallinn Ferry

+1 on the point about finding the deals on the non-English pages of the site. This is true for LindaLine too, at least in previous years. When going into ferry pages, let google translate it rather than clicking on the English version.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,087 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tallinn-Helsinki-Tallinn Ferry

Fond as I am of Linda, their service is very untrustworthy in the beginning of April. Even if their schedule shows they're operating then, they can't start till the ice thaws. Their forecasts for the start and end of their sailing season are always inaccurate.

Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
987 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tallinn-Helsinki-Tallinn Ferry

I wasn't promoting Linda myself, but pointing out that because deals fall through the cracks in this way, it's worth keeping an eye out for this inconsistency in other things taking bookings.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,087 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tallinn-Helsinki-Tallinn Ferry

Linda's always worth checking out in the summer months. I just wouldn't advise them in early April, which is when our OP has his visit.