We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report

Alcester, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report

Just returned from a 9 day solo trip, backpacking around the Baltic countries....Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

All 3 countries are stunning, with great people. I stayed at 3 Hostels on my travels

The Red Emperor in Tallinn

The Naughty Squirrel in Riga

Jimmy Jumps in Vilnius

All 3 places were great places to meet fellow travellers, and I made some great friends on the way. The weather was so cold -26c at one point, but the snow and frost made the places even more beautiful.

Ive written a blog with some details and lots of photos..

http://balticbackpacking.blogspot.co.uk

Lurgan, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report

beautiful photos

West Midlands
Level Contributor
141 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report

Excellent trip that. Lovely photos.

I've been to both Riga and Tallinn and am off to Vilnius on Friday. Which of the 3 cities did you like most?

For me Tallinn was the best and I think it will be very hard to beat as a destination for a short break.

Any tips for me in Vilnius?

Thanks.

Alcester, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report

Hi

Thanks for reading, hope it was usefull.

I can't say I have a favourite, they all had their own charm. I was only in Vilnius for 2 nights and 1 full day. It is very easy to explore by foot and I covered most of the sights around the old town in 4 hours. There is a great view from the top of the hill next to the cathedral. It was bitterly cold throughout my whole trip, between -13 and -26!!, but I think it has warmed up since. There was frozen snow on the ground, but not difficult to get around.

I was backpacking so my food choice were cheap....it seemed very cheap in Vilnius....cheapest of the 3 cities. if you are travelling in from Riga, I recommend the Lux lounge coach - very comfortable! People I met there were very friendly and some beautiful buildings.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
141 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Unlike you we are flying in direct to Vilnius and are just doing the one city. We're there from Fri to Monday so I hope there will be enough to see and do. We're planning on doing the free walking tour which could take up to 3 hours (if we can stand the cold that is). Will also definitely visit the KGB museum and probably the money museum as well as the obvious buildings around town.

We will check out any market that might be open and a few of the shops and of course the bars and restaurants. I thought it might be cheaper as it's not in the Euro. The prices for beer I've seen on one bar menu were incredibly cheap.

Can't wait to get there now.

Alcester, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report

I'm sure you will have a great time....and beer is very cheap! If I had more time i'd have liked to see some of the sights out of the old town like the KGB building..Theres also a castle out of town surrounded my a lake, which i've heard is beautiful and worth a visit. Hope you enjoy!!

West Midlands
Level Contributor
141 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report

Thanks, I'm sure we will.

7. Re: Trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 13, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Vilnius