We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New years Eve In Vilnius

Which Vilnius hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New years Eve In Vilnius

I am in Vilnius for this new years eve. Can anyone tell me, what is happening in Vilnius that is worth going to? Which nightclub is best for ringing in the new year? What do lithuanians do on new year eve in Vilnius? I dont want to do the "stag" thing, just good nights clubs, restaurants and food.

Any sugestions?

Thanks.

LT
Level Contributor
846 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New years Eve In Vilnius

New Years eve in Vilnius. Are you asking other travelers (foreigners) or locals? Night clubs will work, there will be food in restaurants. But these places are never considered like really good places for the good NY eve, at least by majority of lithuanians. It's basically for the foreigners or just city guests; locals also do not avoid nightclubs or restaurants, but it is not considered as something „worth going to“. The scheme is like this: the „celebration“ starts privately, somewhere (indoors). Several minutes before the midnight everybody go to the streets and try to gather in the city's center, i.e. Cathedral Square or its surroundings. As for the good food – it's a „home-made food“, and the restaurant food is just a „plan B“, for the majority of lithuanians of course.

But all that is rather ordinary anyway – the really good place, especially if the winter is cold and snowy, can't be in Vilnius. It should be in the remote farmstead in the middle of the forest. It costs money, but that is what „worth going to“. It would be „Genuine“ New Year Eve ;))). Though I suspect it may be too late to look for such places, they are booked already. Sometimes some spots are booked for the new year eve some 10 month before it .

Best places in Vilnius itself (I suspect) are already booked too. So if you want to be on the „good spot“ when the time will come, you should hurry and just book any place you'll be able to find.

Expect all the prices will be double or more.

There will be quite crowded everywhere.

But if there is no snow – everybody prefer to stay inside, the city may look rather sad for the stranger's eye ;).

"What lithuanians do"? Well, they eat, drink, watch TV, eat, drink, watch TV, drink, watch TV, drink, drink (happy new year), drink-drink-drink........ eat-eat-eat........the end of the film ;) .

Chisinau
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New years Eve In Vilnius

The New Year 2009 is planned to be grandiose - lights show and musical in the center of the city - the biggest events of 31 December. Find the details here:

2009vilnius.com/celebrate-the-new-year-2009-…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New years Eve In Vilnius

'grandiose' hardly describes it.

wow, in THIS city it's going to be incredible...well, unless weather pulls the rug out from under it somehow. but hope for the best certainly.

thanks for posting the link pharaoan (sp?) because otherwise i'd have no idea.

showed it to my in-laws who JUST flew in from vilnius and they didn't want to see it.

didn't want to see what they will miss.

tough choice i say; grandson at christmas or extravaganzas in your home city.

i don't know what chicago can do to top it.

perhaps a bulls championship.

dream on.

folks just GO to vilnius!

4. Re: New years Eve In Vilnius

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, September 14, 2009