We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Lithuania, My grandparents' homeland- (?)

Buenos Aires
1 post
Save Topic
First time in Lithuania, My grandparents' homeland- (?)

I just managed to book way too many connecting flights to be able to get to Lithuania for a day during my first trip to Europe. I will be arriving to Kaunas at noon and leaving from Vilnius the next morning.

My grandfather is originally from Kaunas, and my grandmother from Vilnius, so I'm eager to see both cities. Unfortunately, I don't speak the language and they passed away before I was born/when I was a baby, so I don't have much of a cultural reference apart from having spent many afternoons of my childhood going over my grandmother's Lithuanian picture books. They were never able to return even to visit Lithuania after they left, and my mother has never been able to travel there either, so I don't really know what to expect.

So far I plan on trying to get a few old addresses and walk by/take photos of where they might have lived, and I usually enjoy visiting bookstores, supermarkets and that kind of everyday places more than big touristic spots. Is there anywhere I would be able to find any info about my grandparents there? I don't really know what I would be looking for, but I don't want to "waste" my only day there. I know they left many family members in Lithuania, but we haven't stayed in touch after all these years. I have letters from friends or family to my grandmother, though.

Australian
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Lithuania, My grandparents' homeland- (?)

My Grandfather was also from Lithuania, and I adore the country. It sounds like a very tight schedule to be arriving in Kaunas one afternoon and leaving from Vilnius the next morning - A number of day tours are offered from Vilnius to Kaunas, but they take a whole day, so you will need to have your travel plans inbetween and around the two cities well scheduled!

I hope you love it as much as I do, and good luck!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Lithuania, My grandparents' homeland- (?)

Hi

Why don't you try and contact some of the people who wrote to your grandmother and see if anyone can meet you in Vilnius, then at least you will have a guide to show you a few places and be able to get a better feel of the place. You may even get taken to their home and enjoy a real Lithuanian meal.

Even if the letter writers are long dead they may well have relatives who are your age and still around who would love to meet you. There may even be pictures and stories about your grandma which would be lovely for you to see and hear.

I do have one piece of advice for you, if you are flying a budget airline to Kaunas make sure your luggage conforms to European weight restrictions which are about a third of Transatlantic allowances.

Jackie

Chicago
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Lithuania, My grandparents' homeland- (?)

Your stay in Lithuania even more interesting (it will be interesting in any case!) if you were to hire someone to do some preliminary checking on family members in advance of your visit. I have worked with a person, Vilius Vasekis, who does this sort of thing. He is very diligent and very honest. You can reach him at Vilius@LithuaniaVisits.com. His web site is LithuaniaVisits.com. He can track down locations, remaining relatives, and the like, whatever you would like to have done. I'd be pretty sure that he can quote you a rate for this sort of "advance" work. His charges were very reasonable for the work he did for me.

Good luck!

4. Re: First time in Lithuania, My grandparents' homeland- (?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, September 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Vilnius