We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency in Lithuania

Liverpool , England
Level Contributor
20 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Currency in Lithuania

Hi ,

Does anybody know if its easy to change English money into Litas. I'm having real problems in getting Litas here in the UK.

Do hotels or bars ect accept US Dollars or Euros.

Or are the ATM machines widely available.

Many Thanks

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency in Lithuania

Marks and Spencers, or Thomas Cook do sell/exch this currency if you order it to be picked up (usually 3-5 working days). the exch rate is usally a weekly/monthly set rate, but this isnt too bad in terms of the rate. i dont think they charge more than a few quid for this service, if anything!

sadly you'll have to order most baltic currencies wherever you go looking for it...

there are plenty of banks in the main cities, i usually take enough to last me the first two days excluding the hotel fee, giving me some emergency money if needed and plenty of time to find a friendly bank/atm/exch rate. this also means you can get a taxi etc without having to exch at a worse rate at the airport, and get some food etc too :D

hope that helps.

Oh, and PS - check to see if your local bank has any connection with banks out there for more favourable ATM rates too.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency in Lithuania

I would just bring my ATM card and a couple of credit cards and get money out while I am there or use a credit card, most places take them. They have their own currency, use it!

3. Re: Currency in Lithuania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, August 19, 2009