We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar's in Kaunas and Vilnius

Venezia
Level Contributor
208 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bar's in Kaunas and Vilnius

Hi, does anyone know any good bars and nighclubs in Kaunas and Vilnius.

Many thanks.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar's in Kaunas and Vilnius

hi, its been two years since i was in Vilnius, but there are some great bars near the old town and what i think is the university... my memory is a little hazy die to drink, but yes, plenty of great bars out there!

LT
Level Contributor
852 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar's in Kaunas and Vilnius

Since "good" and "bad" is highly subjective thing, I just give you 2 links:

List of the nightclubs in Vilnius:

surask.lt/laisvalaikis_pomegiai/…

List of the nightclubs in Kaunas:

surask.lt/laisvalaikis_pomegiai/…

The lists itselves are in lithuanian, but there is nothing more than the links to the websites of the nightclubs. And next to the website's address (in the same line) you can see the rating of the club, eg: "reitingas 8 iš 10" means rate 8 of 10.

Some websites have english versions (mainly in Vilnius), some don't (mainly in Kaunas).

The word "Nigtclub" in lithuanian is "Naktinis klubas" (the endings may vary).

Venezia
Level Contributor
208 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar's in Kaunas and Vilnius

Thanks for the info.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar's in Kaunas and Vilnius

Drambliai, Brodveijus and Belmontas...NOT included in that half-hearted 'guide' there.

I certainly hope they're still in business since it's been 3 years since my wife and I were there.

Drambliai - Saw a wonderful Lith blues band 'Senas Kuinas' there in 2003 and drank a healthy amount of draught Svyturys.

Tho it was still warm and the band played in a wonderful courtyard...somewhere near Universitetas.

Brodveijus - great live music venue...great sight lines and with a wrap-around balcony. A very eclectic booking policy as well...we saw a 5 woman acapella jazz vocal group and a student bebop jazz ensemble who both tore the roof off of the joint.

Belmontas - I've written about here before. Very much an outside experience, with very good food and a wonderful ambiance stretched throughout its 5-6 separate buildings on the banks of the Vilnele River on the site of an former grist mill....try the draught dark beer there - the Svyturys Baltijos. Best beer in the Cosmos.

LT
Level Contributor
852 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar's in Kaunas and Vilnius

Yes, Belmontas, Brodvėjus, Balti Drambliai are good restaurants, especially Belmontas (at least according to locals), and especially if the weather is good (nice scenery). The lists above are about "genuine" nightclubs, for restaurants you have to click "restoranai".

preston, england
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bar's in Kaunas and Vilnius

in kaunas you will struggle for any bars. its all resturants and eating places. there is an irish bar near the hotel metropolis. there are a few night clubs and we ended up at one and it was ok but not over busy. it was called something like el pastranos??? not 100% sure. we was going to try one near our hotel but was told it was a fortune to gain entry.

vilnius was slightly different, but most did seem to be resturants again. was only there for 5 hours so not 100% sure. hope this helps.

LT
Level Contributor
852 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bar's in Kaunas and Vilnius

"...it was called something like el pastranos???..."

Yes, it's "Los Patrankos" (means "Los Cannons" :))))

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bar's in Kaunas and Vilnius

"Yes, Belmontas, Brodvėjus, Balti Drambliai are good restaurants, especially Belmontas (at least according to locals), and especially if the weather is good (nice scenery). The lists above are about "genuine" nightclubs, for restaurants you have to click "restoranai"."

"Restaurants"?

OK, perhaps here we don't make quite that fine a distinction as to what's 'a genuine nightclub'...anything with regular programming of live music, live performers (oh, include DJs if you must, but someone spinning/mixing that execrable Europop is not a 'performer'. 'Mango'. Fooo!) is pretty much considered a nightclub here.

The serving of food is incidental in most cases.

So while restaurant services or amenities might be available, the music is what generally makes a nightclub a nightclub...and we saw/heard fantastic music at Brodvejus, drank lots of beer and ate nothing.

Same at Drambliai, after attending a jazz performance at the Rusu Dramos Teatras (Russian Drama Theater), when someone suggested that Senas Kuinas was playing there.

To a person from Chicago, it sure seemed like a 'nightclub'. People drinking and having a ball.

Regarding Belmontas, I was told that there was music performed there on the weekends within their 'compound'.

But because we also were told that it became a zoo in terms of trying to leave because there was only one 2 lane road which was likely a mile and a half to two miles long and it took forever to get out of the place on the busy weekend nights.

So we went during the week just to see the place, drink some wonderful beer with their toasted garlic rye bread...

LT
Level Contributor
852 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bar's in Kaunas and Vilnius

Agree with everything above regarding "restaurants / nightclubs / music / food".

Just "restaurants-bars-cafes" and the "nightclubs" usually are listed separately (I mean, in LT), in spite of whether they are "genuine" or not. It's easy to find the restaurants / bars, but the "nightclubs" are rather few, and situated rather remote. And the main difference (I mean, in LT) is that the "nightclubs" are the places to kill the time, and the "restaurants" are the places to eat, especially in daytime.

It does not make much difference in practice, except when you want to find particular one. Also, the prices in the "nightclubs" are higher ~twice or more.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bar's in Kaunas and Vilnius

www.inyourpocket.com has good information on Vilnius bars. Great city, great beer, great people