We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historic Metropolitan and Forum Cinemas

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Historic Metropolitan and Forum Cinemas

We are visiting Kaunas in September and would like to know if the cinema buildings owned by my Grandfather, until 1940, still exist?.

The cinemas were The Metropolitan and The Forum and were both in Laisvės Alėja.

LT
Level Contributor
854 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Historic Metropolitan and Forum Cinemas

Building of "Metropolitain" is now in the courtyard of Kaunas Drama Theater, last time it was turned into a restaurant but was closed in 2008, don't know what is now there.

"Forum" during soviet times was renamed into "Laisvė" ("Freedom" - certainly it was possible only in Kaunas) and it was one of the main cinema theatres in the Kaunas' center. Now, if nothing has changed, there is a club "Metelica".

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Historic Metropolitan and Forum Cinemas

Thankyou very much. I had been told thatthe Metropolitan was now the Kaunas State Drama Theatre, but as that seems to be an old establishment thought I should check further. We will check it out when we are in Kaunas.

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Historic Metropolitan and Forum Cinemas

Thankyou so much for this information. We found both the theatres and also documents in the archives relating to the family's management of these theatres. The Forum is no longer operating and the building is very dilapidated. The Metropolitan is incorporated in the State Drama Theatre as you said.

4. Re: Historic Metropolitan and Forum Cinemas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 02, 2011