We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest - Bratislava - Vienna

Which Bratislava hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest - Bratislava - Vienna

Hello

We are travelling from Budapest to Vienna in a couple of weeks but are thinking about taking a quick detour for lunch in Bratislava by train. We'll both be carrying backpacks etc and just wondered if this is easy to do? Are the sights and good places to eat within walking/public transport to the main station?

Thanks!

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
857 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest - Bratislava - Vienna

Bratislava is approx. 3 hours from Budapest and 1 hour from Vienna by train or bus.

There are frequent connections on both routes (once per 2 hours from Budapest; hourly to Vienna), so you should have no problem with transportation.

Centre of Bratislava is 2 or 3 stops by bus from the train station, and there is also a luggage storage at the train station. Central (historic) part of Bratislava is quite compact and easy to walk, and there are plenty options to eat - so I think your plan is doable,

For more information on transport options, check also this page: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g274924-s301/Bratisla…

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest - Bratislava - Vienna

Can I give you some advice,avoid Bratislava if you can!!!! Especially the bus station its third world with a capital T.... The facilities are atrocious,we flew into Bratislava Airport to get the bus to Vienna,lovely airport,brand new,then we travelled with Slovakia Lines/PostBus to Vienna via Bratislava bus station,mind your personal items etc., if you do make the trip.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest - Bratislava - Vienna

Just lunch in BA as a quick stop is not such a good idea. Not that I want to scare you away, I live in BA I like BA but the train station is a bit off from the centre. Give BA a night and see the nice parts of it. The bus station is not that nice that is true, but dangerous no not at all. Wish you a nice trip.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest - Bratislava - Vienna

Both train stations are like a 20 minute walk from the centre, or 3 or 4 bus stops... it's very close and compact. And the Bus Station is fine - it's nice and cultural. Great fast food to be had too :) And no need to mind your personal items and more strictly than you would in any other city....

Your main issue is that BA is not on the route between Budapest and Vienna - if I were you I'd do Bratislava as a day trip from Vienna and not as a placed sandwiched in between these cities. There is plenty to keep you occupied and well fed for a day - check the wikitravel page

Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest - Bratislava - Vienna

Was bus experience to Vienna okay? Student will be traveling alone on Sunday evening.

6. Re: Budapest - Bratislava - Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 16, 2014