We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there any trustworthy car hire at Bratislava airport?

stafford UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Is there any trustworthy car hire at Bratislava airport?

We need to hire a car from Bratislava airport for a few days next month. When I have checked the car hire review sites on the web there are some very awful reviews about rip offs by car hire companies. For example I am reading Buchbinder look for tiny scratches and charge hundreds of euros, almost every review for them is bad. Europcar and Budget get very poor reviews too. Some of the good companies offering cars are agents (Argushire and rental cars) so they will probably supply a voucher for one of the bad airport based hire companies.

Can anyone recommend a decent car hire at Bratislava airport?

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
Bratislava Region, Slovakia
46 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
196 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there any trustworthy car hire at Bratislava airport?

Hi there

I have had the same problem, the best prices I got was from this website;

http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/

I hired through them last year from Bratislava airport, and the actual company was Hertz, who were fantastic, no problem at all.

I have hired cars dozens of times in the past, and would also add that you should avoid Europcar like the plague...their "system", I found out after chatting with a guy who works there, during one of several problem hires I had with them in the UK, means that they have to accept bookings, even when they have no cars available. They then try to hire from local firms, and make you wait. Simply the worst service of any firm, in any line of business, I have ever experienced.

Wish you luck in Slovakia, if you need any help, just ask.

Cheers

Andy Cunningham

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
466 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there any trustworthy car hire at Bratislava airport?

I think Avis has branch at Bratislava airport. No particular experience with this one, but we were happy with their services abroad...

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
32 posts
1,858 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there any trustworthy car hire at Bratislava airport?

I would also recommend Avis, they have a branch directly at the airport and a friend of mine used to work for them. They are well established in Slovakia and offer decent service.

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: Is there any trustworthy car hire at Bratislava airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, May 07, 2012

stafford UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there any trustworthy car hire at Bratislava airport?

A quick update on my recent Slovakian trip. After getting quotes from the major rental companies with a desk at Bratislava airport I used a broker 121Car Hire as they offered much cheaper rates. The only problem is you don't know which rental company it is until you book.

After booking a voucher was mailed to me for a car hire company I had never heard of, saying their rep would meet me at arrivals with a placard carrying my name.

On arrival I was duly met by 2 young men who had my car waiting in the car park. I had booked a Kia Cee'd/Ford Focus but I got a bigger Skoda Octavia at no extra cost. They took a picture of my photo driving licence (didn't ask for the paper part), did not take any deposit off my credit card!, pointed out 3 significant scrapes on the car, said they didn't charge for minor scuffs and as long as there were only the 3 scrapes when I returned the car it would be OK. Fantastic stuff.

Car was great, they met me in the airport car park on return and took the car away. 3 days under £90. The company was called Abrix and I would definately recommend them to anyone needing car hire in Slovakia.

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
Bucks
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there any trustworthy car hire at Bratislava airport?

Whatever you do - DO NOT go with Budget Rent a Car i.e.

AT Car SK, s.r.o. - they have TAKEN UNAUTHORISED PAYMENT of almost £100 - this was 3 MONTHS AFTER we rented a car! I think involved in fraud!

Senec, Slovakia
Level Contributor
12 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there any trustworthy car hire at Bratislava airport?

Had no problem with Buchbinder 2 weeks ago at Bratislava Airport, very helpful staff spoke great English. Booked through holidayautos. You should take out the holidayautos premium insurance so you are covered for tiny scratches or else get an annual "insurance excess" policy which costs just £49 for 1 year.

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
stafford UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there any trustworthy car hire at Bratislava airport?

Just returned to Slovakia a couple of weeks ago and used Abrix again. Same cheap rates, great service. This time I booked direct via their website, they remembered me from last year so didn't ask for my driving licence at all. Their card reader was not working so they gave me the car and asked me to pay when I brought it back, which I did. Great stuff.

Mentioned in this post
uk
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there any trustworthy car hire at Bratislava airport?

Does anyone know what the fuel policy is with Abrix and is the insurance fully comp

trencin
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there any trustworthy car hire at Bratislava airport?

i have just used BUCHBNDER located at the airport....stay away from this company they charged me an extra £100 the day after i returned the car and i cannot get any answers from them why,the usual "pretend to not understand" and just plain "don't know"...they also booked me 2 cars and it took me half an hour to sort that out,...just a terrible company!!

Reply to: Is there any trustworthy car hire at Bratislava airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bratislava