We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Odessa, Ukraine

Boca Raton, FL
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
8 helpful votes
Train to Odessa, Ukraine

Hi! I hope some of the local experts can answer this: Is there a train that will take me to Ukraine, and how long does it take. Is there a website for the train station?

Also, I just read something about "stag parties" and people being assaulted. Does it mean that there are a lot of crime in general?

Thanks

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
32,072 posts
18 reviews
39 helpful votes
1. Re: Train to Odessa, Ukraine

Answer to your first question: yes - take a look at www.idos.cz for times. If you want to get the train all the way I am presuming you are going from Bratislava, in which case it will take c. 28 hours and will involve changing at Košice, Čierna nad Tisou, from where you get the world's slowest train (10 km in 1.5 hours) to Čop, from where you get the overnight train to Odessa.

Alternatively you could get the bus which takes the same amount of time - there are direct connections from Brno. A friend of mine does it quite regularly but he's welcome to it :)

Or fly Austrian Airlines/Ukraine International Airlines from Vienna, which is just down the road from Bratislava - c. 1 hour by bus.

Your second question - again I assume you are talking about Bratislava. You are only likely to be a victim of crime ONLY if you are getting up to no good yourself - stag parties frequently come under this category and therefore they are the usual target/perpertrators. Before they came along the city was a quiet small provincial capital minding its own business. You will hopefully not come across many stag parties a) because there are few places that will accept them nowadays and b) it has become too expensive for them. Crime is otherwise minimal and you can walk the city at any time of day or night with no problems whatsoever.

The only 'criminal' activity that you might come up against is that of the taxi drivers overcharging foreigners, but you won't need to get a taxi anyway :)

If you are talking about somewhere like Trebišov, then it is a different story ...

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
13 helpful votes
2. Re: Train to Odessa, Ukraine

I need to completly disagree with Trebisov being referred to as a place where you can't feel safe. I've grown up in the area and as a metter of fact, I feel much more safer in Trebisov than in Bratislava (where I live now).

Bern
Level Contributor
245 posts
3. Re: Train to Odessa, Ukraine

Absolutely the best and cheapest thing to do here is to get by domestic ZSSK train to Cierna (like 20 euro from Bratisalva), buy cross border ticket till first Ukrainian station - Chop or alternatively get bus to Uzghorod from Kosice or Michalovce (both app. 5 euro).

From Uzghorod/Chop you can catch everyday direct domestic Ukranian train to Odesa ("kupe" - from 150 UAH).

The only direct carriage from Slovakia to Ukraine are Wien-Kyiv, Wien-Lviv, Zilina/Kosice-Moscow, but they all are pretty expensive and you will anyway require change.

You can as well take a look at - europetrainsguide.com/200907155/Countries/Uk…

4. Re: Train to Odessa, Ukraine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:31 am, February 12, 2010