We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peculiar results on train travel Sopron-Vienna

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,749 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Peculiar results on train travel Sopron-Vienna

I've been looking at this one for several weeks now at varying dates.

When I look at Mav, I find that on the Sopron-Vienna route, I get only things involving at least one change, usually at csorna or Gyor. Except for the extremely early ones and one very late one, they all seem to be Railjet trains. OTOH, when I look at the return, I get what I expected Wien Meidling >Sopron at about hourly intervals with a time of about 1 hr 12 or 13 min.

Is something peculiar happening with Gysev (Raaberbahn)? Or is this just a glitch on the Mav website?

Fire Tower (Tuztorony)
Observation Decks & Towers
Sopron Old Town
Historic Walking Areas, Scenic Walking Areas
Holy Trinity Statue
Historic Sites, Monuments & Statues
Storno-haz
Specialty Museums
5 replies to this topic
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Peculiar results on train travel Sopron-Vienna

While that is strange, it is even more strange, that a train is shown, if you use ÖBB-s planner! And its not present in the station's train list!!!

I suppose the train is not run by either hungarian companies, but by ÖBB,

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,749 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peculiar results on train travel Sopron-Vienna

It's not OBB either. I's the Raaberbahn in Austria and Gysev in Hungary.

In the past, I've always been able to find the schedules on Elvira - going both ways. I know that these have run in the past, as the most frequent destination I see appearing on the electronic destination board in Sopron is always Wiener Meidling. I've never taken the trip to and from Vienna this way, but was planning on doing so this fall, which is why I was looking it up.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,892 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peculiar results on train travel Sopron-Vienna

Have you tried using www.idos.cz ? That usually covers everything in a user-friendly manner. It shows several direct trains that go from Deutschkreutz to Bratislava via Sopron and Meidling - those are Slovak trains.

Edited: 4:39 pm, January 29, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,749 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peculiar results on train travel Sopron-Vienna

I haven't, but will look at it later. What's really puzzlinging me is that the regular (local) Raaberbahn (Gysev) trains between from Sopron to Vienna Meidling no longer appear, while the ones from Vienna to Sopron do. As I am considering a day trip this November from Sopron to Vienna, and had planned on taking the Raaberbahn both ways, I'm finding this glitch distinctly disconcerting.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Peculiar results on train travel Sopron-Vienna

Since GySEV's site redirects to Elvira, maybe you should write to GySEV...since they are known for the superior customer service compared to MÁV, they will surely be interested in this information.

Reply to: Peculiar results on train travel Sopron-Vienna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted