We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Day Trip Budapest to Eger

Aiea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
408 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: Day Trip Budapest to Eger

I thought I would post this separately in the Eger section to help anyone searching for info. I would also like to thank Paul for all his helpful info during my palnning stage.

26 Sep: I walked to Deak Ferenc ter and took the metro to Pulacs Stadion and walked to the bus station around the corner. I bought my ticket for Eger from the ticket office inside. I took the 0815 bus to Eger and arrived in Eger at 1000. I started the day at the Basilica and the next stop was Lyceum across the street. I bought a ticket to visit the library and the camera obscura. There is a terrace one floor below the camera obscura with a panoramic view of the city. The camera obscura is pretty cool. You can basically spy on the whole town from a little room. The tour was given in English to myself and two young gals. At the end of the tour the girls said thank you and I said kossonom. We all got a chuckle out of that. I continued my walk down Kossuth Street, which is full of fine 18th-century buildings such as: Provost Minor's Palace, Franciscan Church, Provost Major's Palace. The #9 Kossuth Street is the County Hall. It has splendid wrought iron gates by Henrik Fazola just inside from 1761. The building in the courtyard was a prison. I continued down Kossuth Street to Dózsa Square and the entrance of the castle. I did not buy a ticket for the exhibits just the grounds. I then walked down on Dobó Street to get to Dobó Square, the main square of the city. On the square, I visited the Minorite Church which is the highest building in Eger. It's said to be the most beautiful Baroque church in Central Europe. The carved wood furnishing inside is also breathtaking. I then walked from the square down Mátyás Gerl Street which led to the Minaret. I did not go up to the top. I then walked back to Nemzeti Etterem for lunch (lunch was excellent and a great value). It is located in a detached building next to the market opposite the Rossman drug store. They have a patio area and since it was a nice day I ate outside. After lunch, I walked back to the square looking for a taxi to go to the Valley of Beautiful Women but I could not find one. I ended up walking to the bus station to find a taxi stand. The taxi ride was 1200 Huf. I visited caves 40, 43, 34, 26, and 19. I thought the wines were very good. The merlot at #43 stood out as the best I tried. I walked back to the bus station and caught the 1715 bus back to Budapest. I bought my ticket from the driver. I got back to Budapest at 1915 and caught the metro back to Deak Ferenc Ter.

Mentioned in this post
Eger
Eger
Heves County, Hungary
The Basilica
The Basilica
228 Reviews
Eger, Hungary
Franciscan Church
Franciscan Church
88 Reviews
Poznan, Poland
Cafe Central
Cafe Central
9,386 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Europe
Europe
World
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
1. Re: Trip Report: Day Trip Budapest to Eger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, November 15, 2014